Happy Valentine's Birthday

"Happy birthday!" Your mother calls joyously as you exit your bedroom and approach the kitchen.

"Thanks," You mumbled tiredly.

"Or should you say 'happy valentine's birthday'?" Your father laughs upon also entering the kitchen, clutching a hot cup of black coffee.

You groan, rolling you (E/C) orbs. "I don't like valentine's day."

"How could you not? It's the day of love!" Your mother sang, serving you a plate of pancakes.

You gaze at the pancakes. They were heart-shaped, drenched in maple syrup. You aimed your eyes at your mother.

"Really? Heart pancakes?" 

"It is valentine's day! Maybe we should all go out for dinner today! Valentine's day is a day for love. Not just couple's love, but maybe family love too!" Your mother exclaimed enthusiastically.

Your father chuckled lightly, kissing your mother's cheek. "I love that idea."

You cringed from their little love fest and consumed your breakfast quietly. You knew your friend, Anna was going out with her new boyfriend, Kyle. Meanwhile, you? You just plan to simply spend the day having a movie marathon with popcorn or surf the internet, treating valentine's day as if it was a normal day.

But you have to get through school first...

You got dressed in [outfit] and made your way out the door, carelessly slinging your bag over your shoulder. 

"Hey, (Y/N)!" Anna greeted upon approaching the school. 

"Hey, Anna," You replied tiredly.

"Why do you seem so gloomy? It's valentine's day!" Anna said enthusiastically in order to get a reaction from you, to no avail.

"I don't like valentine's day," You said with a frown.

Anna was taken aback. "Why not?"

"I just... Don't, okay? I don't like love."

"Okay..." 

It was true. Love was not in your vocabulary. You grew up around hatred. In all honesty, you were adopted, though not many, not even Anna, knows it. Your real parents were careless towards you. Your real mother one day even called you an 'accident' and 'mistake'. They barely fed you food nor water, never caring if you were sick. Nobody cared for you, therefore growing cold and distant from love. 

You finally mustered up the courage to tell a police officer one day at the park. They took you to an orphanage where you were quickly adopted by a lovely couple. Despite them being your adopted parents, you still called them 'mother' and 'father'. 

Anna and you went inside the school. Anna suddenly squealed when pulled back. Whipping around, you rolled your eyes to see the blonde boy, Kyle hugging Anna from behind, kissing her cheek.

"Happy valentine's day, babe," He told her.

She giggled. "Thanks, handsome."

You cringed from their moment, turning away and waiting patiently for them to be done. Anna soon rejoined after practically making out in the hallway. 

"Sorry about that... Oh, my gosh! That reminds me! It's your birthday, isn't it!?" 

"Yeah..." You replied calmly.

"I'm so sorry for forgetting! I didn't bring your present!" She said shamefully. 

You smiled at her panicked reaction. "Anna, it's okay. Just... Bring it tomorrow maybe to my house? Or I'll visit yours. No big deal."

"Okay..." Anna mumbled.

Couples crowded every corner of the halls, kissing and hugging, boys giving flowers and chocolates to girls. How cliche. 

"Love is in the air~!" Anna hummed. 

"Oxygen and carbon dioxide is in the air," You said with a monotone voice.

Anna laughed, elbowing you. "Let loose, (Y/N)! Don't be so uptight!" 

"I'm not uptight!" You denied. 

"Yeah, sure."

You opened your locker, only for it to be slammed by a certain brunette boy with emerald green eyes, a charming smile plastered on his face.

"Hey~" Isaac said in a flirtatious tone.

"No," You said simply, reopening your locker.

"Oh, come on, baby! Why so uptight? It's valentine's day! Why don't we get dinner after school tonight~?" He suggested.

"Thanks, but no thanks," You replied, shutting your locker and turning away.

"Your loss!" Isaac called as you walked away.

"Got nothing to lose," You mumbled.

You rejoined with Anna, heading to class.

Cupid, or Eros walked around, a smile grazing at his lips to see all the couples show love to one another. There was a few arguing, but he changed that and placed love into their hearts. 

He entered a high school, working to make people fall in love. Today was valentine's day, the special day of love. 

However, something caught his attention. Eros saw a girl and a boy talking. The boy had an interest in the girl, which the girl did not return. 

"Oh, come on, baby! Why so uptight? It's valentine's day! Why don't we get dinner after school tonight~?" The boy spoke.

"Thanks, but no thanks," The girl replied, turning away.

He frowned from this current predicament. He had to change this. He gripped his bow, aiming the arrow directly at the girl's heart. He released, the love arrow piercing the girl's heart. Much to Eros' shock, it did absolutely nothing. No effect.

"Your loss!" The boy shouted.

"Got nothing to lose," The girl muttered under her breath.

Eros followed the girl, gazing into her heart. He was surprised to find it devoid of love. Grown around hate only. It was dark, no spark in it at all. Unlike the boy's heart who flirted with her, his heart had a fire burning brightly. Not her's, however. No wonder. His love arrows doesn't create sparks. They only ignite and kindles what's already there. In order to create a spark, he'd have to do it manually. 

Eros encountered some people with no sparks, but didn't simply nothing about it. But this girl was... Intriguing. Certainly different in his eyes.

Perhaps... He could help her eliminate the hate and rouse love. It was worth a try.