You've Got A Point

"How about we go down to the theatre, I spoke to Miss Medda and she asked if I could paint for her." I said and he thought about it but eventually agreed. We headed out and no one questioned us. When we got there, Miss Medda led us back to the canvas she had for me.

            "Darlin' change of plans...I want you to paint something for your rally tonight. Something that will get those boys inspired." She said and I agreed with her. She handed me the paints and went on her way.

            "Whatcha gonna paint Books?" Albert asked. I tapped the dry paint brush against my chin and thought for a moment. I thought about all of the kids and how it wasn't just the newsies that were being exploited. I first sketched a giant foot crushing kids who carried papes, had coal dust on there faces, sewing needles in hand, etc. and then I had some under the direct bottom of the shoe pushing it back up. In bold letters encompassing the drawing I wrote SO THE WORLD SAYS NO...WELL THE KIDS DO TOO and it sent chills up and down my spine.

            "That's amazing." Albert said looking at it with me.

            "I didn't know you could paint." He added.

            "She's one of the most talented I've ever seen...she and your buddy Jack have natural aptitude." Medda said matter-of-factly.

            "Jack?" I asked.

            "Yes, why, he is the only other painter I have allowed back in this theatre." She began, "besides the one backdrop you've already painted for me, he's done the rest." She said pointing to about three other canvases alongside of my own. I walked up to them and looked at them closely.

            "So, this is how he sees Santa Fe." I said smiling at it.

            "How could you get that?" Albert asked looking at it with me.

            "Well, it looks like a dream, everything is just what you would expect a dreamland to look like; the sunset is perfect, there are mountains in the background, the sky is different shades of colors. It's what he's expecting after he leaves New York. That and Crutchie described what he thinks it looks like." I explained and Albert nodded.

            "We should probably be headin' back now before the rally starts." He said leaving for the door.

            "Orrrrrr...we can stay and watch because we are newsies and it's our duty to stand together because unioned we stand." I said in one breath making him turn to look at me in disbelief.

            "Did ya seriously bring me here hoping to convince me to let you come tonight?" He asked.

            "Ummmmmm maybe." I said with a guilty smile.

            "Books-"

            "Oh. Come. On. Albert. I know you want to stay, it's not like there is going to be any fighting this time, we're all just talking." I argued.

            "Yous SO lucky I don't want to miss this." He said walking back to the stage and I was beaming by that point. We moved the painting to the center of the stage and took a couple of seats behind the curtains. Slowly newsies started filing in and gathering on stage. After about thirty minutes everyone was here except Brooklyn but when they entered it was something. Every boy cheered for them and wouldn't stop until Spot Conlon threw his fists in the air to silence them.

            "So Manhattan, you's invited us twice for help but I only see the scrawny boy ya sent the first time. Where's that pretty lady ya sent me afta?" He asked looking around.