Trust [Chapter 9]

“What the hell is it?” Connor asked.

                “Does it matter what it is?” I asked, backing up slightly, “I don’t want to stay to find out.”

                “Run.” Bellamy declared suddenly, and everyone obeyed his order without question.

                My feet fumbled beneath me, but I managed to stay on my toes, jumping over tree roots that protruded from the ground. Bellamy had taken Charlotte’s hand and was pulling her along. My eyes darted from side to side as I tried to see where the smoke wasn’t, but it seemed to be all around, coming in from all sides except one. We all headed in that direction, but the group was split and I found myself following Bellamy and Charlotte.

                They were a few paces ahead of me and I heard something about a cave.

                “Ava, over here!” He called.

                I looked up only to meet his chocolate gaze before picking up my pace, slipping into the cave entrance and hoping that the smoke would not follow us in there and suffocate us. I had no idea what the smoke did, and I didn’t want to figure out, but the cave was the only thing that might offer safety. We ran as far as we could down the wet and dark cave, until we reached the end. Heavy breaths, panting in both exertion and fear, we waited for the smoke to follow us down, but it never did.

                “I think we’re safe in here.” I said.

                “But for how long…?”

                I shook my head, “It can’t last forever, the smoke… It has to fade. Maybe it is like mist, just a weather condition.”

                Bellamy nodded, “We’ll check periodically, but I think we’re stuck in here.”

                We both glanced at Charlotte, who always looked like a deer in the headlights.

                “Get some rest, we might be here all night.” I said to the young girl. She climbed up on a small ledge in the cave and rested her head on Bellamy’s back pack.

                I leaned back against the cool wall of the cave, looking down the long and winding way we had come, but seeing no dangers lurking. Sighing, I leaned my head back and rested my eyes for a moment, thinking about those in the group who had broken from us, and wondering if they had found some shelter. There seemed to be a few caves in this area, and I just hoped that everyone had found sanctuary from the fog; it wasn’t confirmed to be poisonous, but anything that colour shouldn’t be inhaled.

                It seemed like hours passed before anyone spoke; Charlotte had fallen asleep by then and it was only Bellamy and I left awake. I had almost drifted into a short nap, resting my eyes and day dreaming about the Earth, but I never actually fell asleep. My eyes adjusted to the darkness of the cave, though it gave me no idea of what time it was.

                “Do you think it is safe to go out?” I asked Bellamy, who looked more awake than me.

                Bellamy shrugged, glancing at Charlotte. “I don’t want to risk it, not yet.”

                “You’re worried for her…” I glanced at the young girl.

                “She shouldn’t be here… This place isn’t for children.”

                “It isn’t for teenagers either… We’re dying out here.”

                “Only two are dead, though Jasper is on his way out.” Bellamy said, though it seemed as if he were talking to himself. “Who knows if we lost anyone else in this… poison fog.”

                I sighed, knowing that he was right. We hadn’t lost many, and the two we had lost was because they had been idiots on the drop ship. Two people were missing when we left the camp to go hunting, and Jasper was barely hanging on when we left. All that was going on around us, and yet all I could truly think about was what Bellamy had said to Murphy. However, I wasn’t sure how to bring it up, even if we were stuck in a cave together and there was nothing much to talk about.

                “I’m going to ask you one thing,” I said then, “And please, tell me the truth.”

                Bellamy sighed, knowing what I was going to ask him. While I wanted to ask him about his words, I needed answers to my initial question.

                “What did you do… to get on the drop ship?”

                “You don’t want to know.”

                “Bellamy.” I pleaded, “Please.”

                Another sigh emitted from his lips, and he leaned his head back against the rock wall. Perhaps what he had done was so bad that it would make me look at him differently. However, I wasn’t sure how to look at him yet; without answers I was lost at sea. Some confirmation or any kind would help me come to a decision about Bellamy, though I knew regardless of what I found out, my feelings for him were not going to change any time soon.

                “I shot the chancellor.” He admitted at last.

                For a moment, I was shocked, speechless too. Never had I thought Bellamy had the guts to kill someone, nor did I think he could get that close to Jaha. Someone had to have helped him, and given him the gun. Though the act of violence was brutal, and was surely causing quite a problem on the Arc, I felt at ease now that I knew.

                “Say something…” Bellamy said as I thought about what he had confided in me.

                “Thank you.” was all I could say in that moment.

                “You’re thanking me…” Bellamy sounded confused.

                “You shot the man who locked me up for being raped.” I said bluntly, “And you trusted me enough to tell me.”

                In that moment, I realized that even though I had been hurt in the past, in ways unimaginable to some, I was slowly healing. I had built a thick wall to protect myself, to prevent what had happened to me to ever reoccur. The walls protected me from further harm, but they also prevented the wounds from healing. I had never developed another way to trust people, but in this moment, death lingering just outside the cave, I found solace as my wounds began to shut.

So, I am watching the show over and trying to write alongside the show to make sure that my story flows with the plot of the show. I'm trying to avoid using too many lines from the show, because I feel like that is not my own writing, so if I glaze over conversations or even change them, please understand it is because I want this to be my own story as well. Please vote and comment guys! xo