Chapter 1

INBOX ■ ■ ■

______________

SENDER: SUZUKI KANNA

______________

SUBJECT: (none)

______________

MESSAGE:

Going to the supermarket, will be home late.

Don't attempt to make dinner!!

PING!

INBOX ■ ■ ■

______________

SENDER: [NAME]

______________

SUBJECT: (none)

______________

MESSAGE:

K

~

'Suzuki Kanna, fifteen years old.'

Kanna lets her hand run across the packet of ramen on the stand. She pursed her lips in concentration as her eyes flicker to the touchscreen phone. A picture of a ramen picture was displayed on it. "Not this one." She mumbled to herself as she began to sidestep down the aisle.

'I'm a simple, high school girl living in Japan.'

"Hey, Suzuki!"

Hearing her name, Kanna looks up to see a familiar face approaching her. "Oh!" A smile etched on her face at the sight of him. "Shirota!" She watched as Mahiru jogged slightly to reach her in time. His hands were then stuffed into his pants pockets before facing the racks of ramen. "So—"

'I study, hang out with friends, play video games, all of that normal stuff.'

Kanna readjusted her grip on the plastic bag as she stood to the side of the automatic doors. The faint sound of the laser scanner was heard when the lady by the cashier scanned Mahiru's items. While waiting, she let her eyes wander outside the windows until they land on a small black form outside. It was dark outside, easily making it hard for her to see as her brows furrow in confusion but when it turned its head to the side to give a yawn, her confusion was cleared up quickly. "Just a black cat." She mumbled to herself.

"What was that, Suzuki?" Mahiru appeared from behind as he fiddled with the plastic handles.

"Oh, just looking at the cat outside." She tilted her head to the black cat who now was looking up at them from outside. The cat's red eyes were rather unique and it made her wonder if it was some sort of mix breed.

Mahiru followed her gaze towards the cat outside and let the corner of his lips quirk up. "That's Kuro." He watched as she gave him a confused expression. "He's..." Mahiru racked his head, trying to form some sort of wording. "My pet?" It came out like a question, something that Kanna quickly picked up but looked at it when Mahiru quickly covered up his mistake. "My friend."

'But despite all those typical and simple stuff...'

The cool air blew over Kanna's face gently. The sun was already more than halfway setting down as they strolled down the path. She tilted her head to the side slightly to look at Mahiru. "You don't really have to—" She started but one look from Mahiru made her stop her sentence.

The boy was stubborn on letting her go home alone and was determined to send her off safely home. "I never knew you decided to take in a cat, when did you take him in?" She changed the subject.