Part Four

The next morning came brightly. By the time Ed had crawled out of bed Aileana, Winry, Roy, and Armstrong were already eating in the kitchen.

            “How is it that you people wake up so early,” he dragged himself over to an empty chair and laid his head against the table.

            “I was up at dawn,” Aileana chuckled as she placed a plate full of eggs, bacon, and two pancakes in front of him.

            “Why would you subject yourself to such torture?” he asked, his mouth full.

            “I’ve always been an early riser, besides,” she smiled sadly, “I had to pick some things up for today,”

            “What’s today?” Alphonse asked, “Is it someone’s birthday?”

            “No,” she shook her head, “It’s more like an anniversary,”

            “It’s not your guys’ anniversary is it?” Winry asked, freaking out a bit, “If I had known I would have bought you something!”

            “No,” she laughed, “we haven’t celebrated that in years. It’s… something else. Don’t worry about it,”

Ed looked from her to Roy, who was now wearing a sad expression on his face. He was just about to push it from his mind when he remembered something from last night.

Melony. Today must have been the anniversary of the accident. Ed no longer had an appetite and pushed his plate away.

            “What, don’t like it Ed?” Aileana asked as she took the plate.

            “Just not hungry is all,” he mumbled, slouching a bit.

            “Are you feeling ok?” she asked kindly, placing the back of her hand against his forehead, “You feel fine,”

            “I’m not just hungry,” he stood up and walked outside, followed by Al.

            “What’s up brother? Is something wrong?”

            “Today’s when it happened Al, don’t you remember?” Ed said softly as he sat at the base of a tree, “Today is the day of the accident where they lost Melony,”

            “Oh,” he sat next to his brother, “that would explain why Aileana didn’t want to talk about it,”

            “I wonder what she’s going to do,”

            “I’m putting flowers on her grave,” someone said from above them.

Startled, Ed looked up to see a smiling Aileana holding a small bouquet of white irises.

            “I know how smart you are Edward,” she continued, “out of everyone I knew that you, Roy, and Armstrong would understand. I do this twice a year; once on her birthday and once on the day of the accident. If you wish, you may come with me,”

            “What about Roy? Doesn’t he want to go?” Ed asked as he stood up.

            “He didn’t want to go with me. I think he might go later though. All of this is still very difficult for him,”

            “I think he needs to go,” Alphonse said, standing up to join them, “it could bring some closure for him,”

            “I think the same thing Alphonse,” she smiled as she began to walk down the road.