Not So Smart Phone

"Hey, wanna play bionic bowling?"

That was how my day started. I wasn't quite sure what bionic bowling entailed, but it was bound to be more interesting than what I was doing (staring at the ceiling) so naturally I agreed. I was currently setting the pins up while Adam was some form of a warm-up that involved a lot of unnecessary heavy breathing. We were about to start when Bree and Chase walked into the lab after work.

"Hey guys, check it out! We just got our first pay checks from Tech Town!" Chase bragged.

"Good job," I congratulated, "Though you're about a month too late from when you actually needed that money."

"Which means I get to spend it irresponsibly!" Bree cheered, "Whoo!"

"That wasn't the point," I said.

"So," Leo asked, sidling up to Chase, "A video game? New kicks? A birthday present for a sibling who wants a video game and new kicks?"

"Nope," Chase replied, "I'm gonna open a savings account."

"I wanna like you," Bree told him, "But you make it so hard."

"Just keep it separate from Uncle D's" I advised, "Just in case Douglas gets itchy fingers again."

"Got it," Chase said to me, ignoring Bree, "I forgot how helpful you were when you weren't mad at me."

"Mad at you?" I asked, then not wanting to invest the energy in this conversation, "You know what, I'll just let that one slide."

"Anyways," Chase said, "The job also comes with perks."

He pulled out a phone. I was still waiting for the perk, but Leo revealed why it was a perk pretty quickly.

"The new ePhone 7!?!?" Leo exclaimed, "Those aren't even out yet! How'd you get one?"

"Well, Leo," Chase started dramatically, "As a rising star of the Tech Town empire—"

"We all got one," Bree deadpanned, cutting Chase off as she pulled out her new ePhone.

"People are already lined up for the big release Friday. You should have seen the crazed looks in their eyes when I walked by with this thing," Chase continued, and upon seeing Leo's eyes bulging out of his skull, "Yep, that's the look."

"What's the big deal?" I asked, "Is it really that much better than the ePhone 6? Or the ePhone 2 El Chie or whatever the frick phone I have?"

"The 2 LC?" Chase clarified.

"There we go, that sounds about right," I replied.

"What's the big deal?" Leo exclaimed, grabbing Chase's phone from him, "This versions's got the new auto-centering feature to help you take better selfies."

He took a selfie, and it was the cringiest thing I had ever seen since the last time Leo had taken a selfie. At least this one was centered. I think.

"Yeah, I don't photograph well," Leo admitted.

"Point that bad boy over here!" Adam called, bringing us back to the main event, the bionic bowling, "You're gonna wanna record this perfection!"