Chapter three: Serum Soldier Meet Project Fox

"The thing is I think it's getting worse. A cop pulled me over last week, he thought I was drunk. I swerved to miss a plastic bag. I thought it was an IED." Steve heard a female say.

"Some stuff you leave there, other stuff you bring back. It's our job to figure out how to carry it. Is it gonna be in a big suitcase or in a little man-purse? It's up to you." Sam said as Jacqueline came and stood by Steve.

"You didn't seem like the therapy kind." Steve said to Jacqueline. She looked at them and shook her heard.

"Talking about it helps in the moment but talking about it in general. Not my thing. I help myself by helping them. I create heart monitors that can tell a significant other if you are panicking or not, if you are having an episode. It will also talk to the veteran if their significant other isn't near. Knowing I can save a life makes my life better." She explained.

"So Serum 1C-02 really screwed you up."

"My parents gave it to me. I completed 15 missions with 270 confirmed kills if I can save or help 300 people in anyway then I'll feel better."

"I thought it was 250."

"There was 20 uncounted kills but I know they are there and that's what counts." After the meeting ended Steve waited for Sam to finish saying goodbye to the veterans.

"I'll see you next week." A female said to Sam.

"Yeah." Sam said.

"Yeah." She said before leaving. Sam walked over to Steve with a smile when he spotted him standing by Jacqueline.

"Look who it is. The running man." Sam laughed.

"Caught the last few minutes. It's pretty intense." Steve admitted leaving out his conversation with Jacqueline out of it.

"Yeah, brother, we all got the same problems. Guilt, regret." Sam patted Jacqueline's arm as he walked through.

"You lose someone?"

"My wingman, Riley. Flying a night mission. Standard PJ rescue op, nothing we hadn't done a thousand times before, till RPG knock Riley's dumb ass out of the sky. Nothing I could do. It's like I was up there just to watch."

"I'm sorry."

"After that, I had really hard time finding a reason for being over there, you know?"

"But you're happy now, back in the world?"

"Hey, the number of people giving me orders is down to about her. So, hell, yeah. You thinking about getting out?"

"No. I don't know. To be honest, I don't know what I would do with myself if I did."

"Ultimate fighting? It's just a great idea off the top of my head. But seriously, you could do whatever you want to do. What makes you happy?"

"I don't know." The conversation continued for a moment or two then Steve left. After Steve had left Sam turned to Jacqueline.

"You okay? You have been uncharacteristically silent." Sam asked. Jacqueline shook her head as they walked to the car.

"I guess I was just lost in thought." She mumbled before getting into the car.
----------------------------------------

Sam and Jacqueline had just returned home from their morning run when a knock came from the screen door.

"I got it." Jacqueline said Jasper bouncing at her heels. Sam went back to attempting to drink from the oj bottle. "Get a cup genius." She opened the door to find Steve and Natasha. "Hey, Steve."