Chapter Ten

Jack and Rapunzel walked side by side.

Jack thought of how just a second ago she refused to speak to him. Now she wouldn't shut up.

He started out just wanting to make friendly conversation by asking a question, like how she met Merida. And it all went down hill from there. She started her little explanation, and without stopping to take a breath, went on, and on, and on. And somehow managed to start talking about Merida and end out talking about painting and chameleons. (How those three things could possibly relate to each other, he had no clue. But she seemed to figure it out.)

It was unbelievable. Freaky even. He never saw such a mood swing. He heard that people in grief have a tendency to do that, but he didn't think it would go, cry, freak-out, threaten, freak out, threaten, cry, happy.

He knew one thing for sure, he liked this side of Rapunzel. Although he had to admit the constant chattering was annoying. But the way she just glowed as she talked. The way she smiled at the world around her. It was like she was a walking ray of sunshine. He found it hard to believe that this was the same girl he saw crying in her window.

"Jack!" She said sounding annoyed.

"What?" He said realizing he was only hearing about ten percent of what she was talking about.

"I said, we're almost there! Were you even listening to me?"

Jack shrugged "I got bits and pieces." He admitted.

"So you just zoned out the whole time while I was talking?"

"Basically."

"Well then, I think you should just..."

"Stop talking."

"No, no that's not what I..."

"No, stop talking." He said covering her mouth with his hand.

He knew he heard something. Like a growl of some kind of large animal. He hoped it wasn't a nightmare, even though they're typically in the shape of horses. But as far as he knew, Pitch might be strong enough to have them change into any shape he wants. That wasn't really pleasant thing to think about.

"Mmmmhmmm." Rapunzel said through his palm.

Jack removed his hand "Sorry."

"What is it?" She asked.

"Probably, nothing." He lied. "But, uh, you should probably hold on to that pan just in case."

Rapunzel clutched on to her weapon and edged closer to him.

Jack carefully made his way to the lake. Keeping his eyes open for any giant creature. Then he saw it.

He quickly crouched behind a hedge, pulling Rapunzel beside him.

Well it wasn't a nightmare... it was worse.

"What is it?" She asked anxiously.

"A dragon." He sighed.

"A WHAT?!" She popped her head up.

"Stay down!" Jack warned placing his hand on her head to forcefully push her back down. "Do you want to be eaten alive?"

"So what do we do?"

"I don't know about we, but you are going to stay right here, while I handle this."

"What?! But I wanna help!"

"You will be helping, by staying here."

Rapunzel gave him an annoyed glare, "That's not fair."