Chapter one

James P.O.V.

James was the only child of Fleamont and Euphemia Potter, an elder couple of wizards who lived on the magical side of London. The boy had turned 11 on the 27th March and waited anxiously since the beginning of the Summer for his letter to arrive. Most of his neighbors who were the same age as him had already received theirs, brought by an owl directly from the castle. However, James's owl seemed to be late. Perhaps he didn't have the abilities required to become a great wizard, who knows.

It was already mid-July when the Potters were having lunch and, suddenly, heard an enormous bang on the door. Fleamont told Euphemia to hide with little James and ran to the door. He opened it slowly, preparing himself for whatever might be beyond that piece of wood, but he was rather surprised when he didn't see anyone nor anything. Then, he looked to the ground and burst out laughing. Maybe it was because of the relief he felt, but he couldn't stop. James and his mother appeared behind him, looking really surprised. When they saw Fleamont, the two of them couldn't help but start laughing too.
The child looked outside and saw, lying on the ground, a really confused-looking brown owl. Judging by its size, the owl was still young, and clearly didn't know where it was going... It hit the door so hard it made a little hole. But looking more carefully, James noticed something lying next to it: a white envelope with a red stamp. That red stamp that both Euphemia and Fleamont could identify at a distance, with its H in a beautiful handwriting font. The Hogwarts stamp.
The boy started running, grabbed his letter and rolled on the ground, laughing with joy. After all, maybe he would be a great wizard and follow his father's steps. Still lying on the floor, smiling widely, he opened the letter and started reading:

Dear Mr. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1st. We expect your owl by no later than July 31st.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Euphemia asked him to read the list of what he would need to take with him to Hogwarts, so that they could buy those items later that week. He unfolded the second paper. For any muggle (non-magical people), this would've been the most bizarre list ever. But for the Potters, a pure-blood family, it was completely normal. He read:

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Uniform

First-year students will require:
Three sets of plain work robes (black)
One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)
Please note that all pupils' clothes should carry name tags

Set Books

All students should have a copy of each of the following:

The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk

A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot

Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling

A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore

Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander

The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other Equipment

1 wand

1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2)

1 set glass or crystal phials

1 telescope

1 set brass scales

Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

It was really happening! A month and a half from then, he would be at the best Wizarding school of the whole world. He couldn't wait to sit at the Gryffindor table (yes, he was sure he would be a Gryffindor, just like his father). He already imagined himself having lots of friends. He could smell the delicious food that his father had told him so much about, at the fantastic banquets that were to be held at the Great Hall. When he returned to look at the paper, he noticed a note written on the end of the letter: PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST-YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS.

His father had told him that before, nonetheless, James was disappointed. He had hoped they'd change that rule... He had tried flying once before and (modesty aside) he was great at doing it. Of course he would still have flying lessons, which would be awesome, but he really wanted to have his own broomstick. Anyways, he was sure that year was going to be great!
The rest of his day was normal, apart from his excitement. He couldn't stop for a minute and spent the whole afternoon jumping, dancing, singing, etc.
While they were having dinner, the boy couldn't talk about anything besides being a Gryffindor. Fleamont and Euphemia smiled, but when they finished their meal, his dad asked him to sit on the couch so that they could have a "man to man" conversation. James immediately agreed. He loved having those talks with Fleamont. They made him feel like a grown up and he usually learnt a lot from them.
"James, son" Fleamont started "I know how much you want to be a Gryffindor"
"Of course! I'll be a great wizard, just like you!"
"I know, you will be even better than me!" His dad smiled. It made him really happy that his son thought he was a great wizard. "But it doesn't matter what house you are in. You can always be a great wizard"
"But what if I end up in Slytherin?" James didn't like that thought.
"I'm sure you will be the best Slytherin ever. But, listen, if you want that much to be a Gryffindor, you can always ask the Sorting Hat. He usually considers your preference... Either way, I just want you to know that you don't have to be in Gryffindor to be amazing, and we will always be proud of you. Understood?"
"Yes, dad" James still didn't like the idea of being a Slytherin, but he pretended to be ok with it so that his dad would be more relaxed.
The boy said goodnight to his parents, went to bed and fell asleep almost immediately. That night, he dreamed about his year at Hogwarts and all the positive things he would experience there.

Hey ^^ I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll try to post at least once a month, but I can't promise you anything because school is starting and I have to study... Anyway, thanks for reading my story! Please, leave a vote and a comment if you liked it :3