Chapter 8

El’s POV

The room was brightly lit by the morning sun through the grand window. I laid on my side, my eyes closed. I felt an arm around my waist. I let my fingertips run down his arm and I put my hand over his.

“Good morning” I heard him whisper, I turned around in his arms.

“Good morning” I smiled, looking into his honey colored brown eyes and taking in his sleepy smile, short brown hair, and light stubble. Aaron leaned in, taking my lips in his, I smiled against his lips, loving the warm feel of the sun and the soft feel of his mouth. He moved his lips against mine and I kissed him back. Aaron rolled over so he was now on top of me, continuing to move his lips on mine. I smiled, wrapping my arms around his neck. Aaron’s body was close to mine and he caressed my waist, I turned my face away after a few more kisses.

“No, stop, we are not spending all day in bed again. Remember that thing we have to go to? That thing we call school? We are going to be late!” I giggled as Aaron kissed my neck.

“But you’re just so beautiful, so tempting” He whispered, kissing my cheek then my lips again but I pulled away.

“And I’m sure I’ll be just as beautiful when I’m not in this bed with you, with more clothing,” I said, kissing his lips once more before rolling out from underneath him.

“I’m going to shower before school,” I said

“Can I join?” Aaron asked hopefully

“Hell no! But maybe you should take a chill pill and a cold shower, after me” I said, hopping into the shower. Once I was done I got dressed in a lacy white shirt and tight blue jeans with booties. Aaron drove us both to school. I loved it when he drove me to school, the loud music, the wind in my face and hair as we drove with the window open. When we arrived at the high school, we walked in hand in hand. We are the school’s new IT couple, and ever since I started dating Aaron, I have gotten actually pretty popular. I smiled at everyone as we walked through the halls, that’s when my eyes caught Max’s. We used to be best friends, I don’t know what happened between us. Despite that fact I smiled at her, she forced a smile but her smile became genuine when she looked behind me. Her eyes bright. I turned slightly to see her boyfriend, Mike Wheeler approaching her with a sweet smile.

“Hey,” he said

“Hey” Max replied and he picked her up in his arms twirling her in the air before kissing her lips. Max laughed, her fingers in his hair as she kissed him back. I can’t explain to you the pain I felt In my heart in that moment.

“Get a room, you two” Aaron told them, who just ignored him, kissing each other a few more times before Mike put Max down, keeping his hands around her waist and pressing his forehead against hers. He whispered something in her ear before kissing her cheek and taking her hand in his as they walked to their first class. I don’t understand the things I felt in my heart. Anger? Sadness? What’s wrong with me?

“You Okay Babe?” Aaron asked, giving my hand a squeeze and I nodded.

“Yeah, let’s just get to class” I smiled. Classes were boring so I was relieved when it was lunchtime, Aaron told me he was taking me out for lunch but on my way to meet Him, I was stopped by Max.

“Hey, El? Can a talk to you really quick?” Max asked and I looked at her confused

“I guess…. but why now?” I asked

“We haven’t spoken in years” I continued.

“I know, but I wanted to tell you something. I know we aren’t friends now, but we used to be. There was a time I would have told you everything and you would have done the same.” Max told me

“So? What did you want to tell me?” I asked curiously. Max didn’t say anything, she just lifted up her hand. Then I saw it, on her right hand, ring finger. A shiny-bright diamond ring. I went up to her and grabbed her hand.

“Mike….. he proposed?” I asked with wide eyes.

“Yeah, last night, he said he couldn’t wait until graduation, he wants to marry me,” Max said with giant eyes filled with love.

“I wanted to invite you to my engagement party tonight. Will you come?” Max asked. I was shocked, confused and angry. But mostly, I was broken. All of this happened, it all happened after I told Mike about my kiss with Aaron, I waited too long, he was furious, thought I had been cheating on him all this time and sleeping with Aaron behind his back. He broke up with me then, I didn’t do what I was accused of but after he broke up with me. I showed up at Aaron’s apartment. I didn’t do what I was accused of but Mike left me, might as well do what he thought I did. I have been with Aaron ever since. A while after, Mike started dating Max and that’s when our friendship broke apart. Now she is going to marry him.

 I woke up screaming and in tears. I shot up in bed panting, tears were streaming down my eyes. Max fell off the bed from shock with a loud thud and a few moments later, my father ran in with his gun in hand, ready to shoot an intruder. When he saw there was no one in my room beside Max who was getting up from the floor with a groan, he put away his gun.

“What happened? Is everything okay?” My dad asked and I looked around with tearful eyes. When Max got up, I grabbed her right hand and let out a relieved breath when I saw no ring.

“What’s wrong with you?” Max asked

“I’m sorry,” I said, cleaning off my tears.

“It…… it was just a bad dream….. a really bad dream,” I told my father, who took me in a tight embrace, hugging me carefully.

“I really need my own room” Max complained, covering her face with a pillow with a huff.

Dad stayed with me a little longer before going back to bed. Max fell back asleep quickly but I couldn’t sleep for the rest of the night. I now know, I have to tell Mike what happened and I have to do it soon. There is no way I’m letting Max take him away from me. There’s no way I’m letting anyone take him from me.