01. the letter

     HARPER POTTER WOKE UP BEFORE DAWN

HARPER POTTER WOKE UP BEFORE DAWN. It wasn't that she was a morning person — she definitely wasn't — but today was an exception. Today was her eleventh birthday and she knew her Hogwarts letter would arrive ever since she set the Daily Prophet on fire. Accidentally if she may add.

Slipping into her slippers, she took her night robe that hung over the end of her bed, and pulled it on before heading into the hallway. The small cottage she shared with her godmother Dorcas and her uncle Moony consisted of three bedrooms, a bathroom and a small hallway on the first floor. The kitchen, living room and dining room were downstairs.

Harper carefully walked past the open bedroom doors of the two adults, not wanting to wake them, before descending the stairs. Her hazel eyes glided over the door mat and she saw that mail had yet to arrive.

Moving into the kitchen, she started making herself some hot chocolate, something she probably was addicted to. She blamed Moony for that. It was he who had the addiction first and brought it in the house. Dorcas had scolded him many times before, saying that it wasn't that healthy and that they should perhaps eat less of it.

Needless to say Harper and Remus did not listen.

"I smell chocolate," Remus said, appearing sleepily in the doorway.

"Of course you do," Harper said, grinning while taking another mug. "Perks of being a werewolf."

"One of the only ones," Remus muttered, as he fell down onto a chair, going with his hand through his graying hairs. "Anyway, it's all about you today, munckin!" he added, more enthusiastic now. "Are you excited? Happy Birthday by the way!"

"Thank you and yes," Harper said, beaming, handing him a hot chocolate. "Very."

"Good morning," a third voice said, and the duo looked up to see Dorcas appearing in the kitchen, yawning.