-10-

Kat had basically destroyed the entire room. Papers and books were thrown about on the floor and most of the desks had been pushed into a corner, half stacked and half toppled over. She threw open the drawer of the teacher's desk and rummaged through it.
    "KEY!" Kat screamed, running to the door and unlocking it. Light blinded her as she stepped outside. Kat wandered around. Kat crossed the street and stared at the shops before her. She went inside a candy shop to her left. Kat gazed at the candy and selected a hard caramel candy. She popped one in her mouth. Happiness flooded her.
    "CARAMEL!" She screamed in delight.
******
Kat fell to the ground and stared up at the big blue box before her. A man poked his head out.
    "You know, you could have just said hello instead of running me over? She muttered.
    "But that's no fun," he replied
******   
    "Yes, and I really don't care. Drop the stick and help me." The man said, sighing as he waited for her.
    "I'm the princess of sticks!" She yelled. "You can be the king if you like."
    "Who's to say I'm not already?"
*******
    "Get away from my daughter."
*******
    Kat bit her lip as the scenes came to mind. She let out a long breath.
    "Always, always, always." she mumbled. Kat closed her eyes for a long moment, standing there, not knowing exactly what to do.
    "I'll always come back for you," she recited as she opened her eyes once more. "And that's a favor I'll return. Once I can remember when."
    The door slammed shut behind her as she marched outside.
    "I don't know what i'm doing, I never have and I never will. But I know this isn't right."
    She set a hand in her pocket and pulled out the papers she had taken, riffling through them. An additional paper ws at the back. On it was a picture drawn by a kid by the age of at least eleven. A girl with wavy blonde hair that cascaded down her black uniform. In her arms she held a rifle.
    Before she had time to think, Kat's vision blanked, and she fell.
********
    Kat shot up in her bed. Kat screamed.
    The Doctor screamed too.
    "What in the bloody universe happened?" She yelled.
    "That's for me to know, and you to find out."
    "Where the hell am I?"
    "You're in your house," The Doctor said plainly.
    "Where's Lila?"
    "Lila is... ummmm..."
    Kat jumped up from her bed and ran into the kitchen. She then ran into the T.A.R.D.I.S. and stared at the console.
"Lila's in the bathtub!" The Doctor screamed across the apartment.
    "Not looking for her, looking for a thing!" she replied sassily.
    "What-n-ever!" he replied with equal sass.
    "Oi! I need my phone and my necklace! Help or get lost, old man!"
"Getting lost!"
"You had no choice to begin with! Help!"
"Why do I have to help," he whined. "I don't have them!"
Kat marched into the kitchen again. "But I had my phone and necklace when, I don't remember, but the other day or so, and now they are gone!"
"Well don't look at me!"
"Dad! Just help me find them or I'm going to destroy the T.A.R.D.I.S. looking for them!" Kat exclaimed as she jumped onto the counter.
"Finnneeeee," he uttered, trudging over to Kat.
"Jacket." She opened her hand.
"No!"
"Jacket!"
"Get out!"
"This is my house!"
"I don't care, I'm your father!"
"Then give me my phone!"
"I don't have your phone!"
"Yes, you do!"
"No I don't!"
"Yeah, he does." Lila stated as she entered the room. "He picked it up after-"
"I did?"
"Yeah, after she fe-"
"Where did I put it?"
"Jacket pocket." Lila replied. "Remember?"
The Doctor put his hand in his right pocket and said, "There's nothing here."
"Left pocket, bright one."
"Oh." He pulled the phone out of his pocket and attempted to hand it to Kat, but accidentally hit her in the face with it.
Kat stared at him for a long moment as she picked up her phone from the floor. "I'll be back." She ran from the kitchen into her room. The door slamming shut.
"That was weird," the Doctor stated, pulling a bag of crisps out of his right pocket.
"What's she doing?" Lila asked as she stared questioningly at the bag of crisps.
"I don't know," he replied, grabbing a handful and shoving them into his face. The problem was he forgot to open his mouth.
Lila stifled a laugh as she watched him.
"Shut up!"
"Ow!" Could be heard from Kat's bedroom after a loud bang.
"What do you think she did?" the Doctor asked Lila.
"Oh, she's been working on a project for a bit. Probably broke something or dropped something."
"I won't ask."
"You don't have to be worried. It's quite cool. But um, it might be color than your own."
"Sorry?"
Lila beamed in response.
The Doctor rolled his eyes.
Kat ran back into the kitchen holding some sort of stick-like contraption.
"What's that?"
"Guess!" She pointed it at him and it flowed bright green.
"It's a machine that goes 'ding'. I made one of those once," he said laughing. "It boiled eggs."
"No." She held it up proudly. "I deconstructed my necklace and constructed a new sonic. Much better than the old one, I suppose. But it also is a pen!" She grinned.
"That's brilliant!"
Kat aimed it at an empty flower pot and pressed the button. It exploded into a billion fiery pieces.
"Don't do that!"
Kat frowned, shoulders slumping. "But why not? I made it out of cool tech stuff and-"
"It's a waste. If you're going to explode something, blow up Lila's head."
Kat looked mortified. She backed up, grabbing Lila's hand and starting to run to the front door.
"I didn't mean it!" the Doctor yelled, laughing so hard no sound came out.
"I'll be in the T.A.R.D.I.S. with my fire explosion pen sonic!" She disappeared with Lila.
************
Kat ran up to he controls, Lila following. She stared out around.
"Okay, I'm going to show you a magical place in the T.A.R.D.I.S. But you have to stay there for a bit. Ready?"
"Okay!" she exclaimed excitedly.
Kat started to sprint down the halls. Lila followed until they stopped at one of the doors very far from the control room. Kat pushed open the door and held it open for Lila. It was a garden room, with butterflies, plants, and birds.
"This is beautiful..." she said in awe, taking a few steps forward.
"Yeah, lovely..." Kat aimed the sonic and pushed another button, creating the sound of a loud bang that The Doctor could here. Sparks flew out of the end of it and Kat ran outside and slammed he door shut. She headed back to the apartment.
******************
The Doctor heard a huge bang and Kat ran inside the apartment smiling.
"What did you do?!"
"Nothing much, just what you told me to."
"I did not tell you to do anything!"
"You said to aim the sonic at Lila's head."
"You did not bloody do that!"
"But you said to!"
"Bloody hell!"
"What?" Kat asked confusedly.
"You are bloody clueless."
"But you-"
"Don't!"
Kat looked down, biting her lip to try to hide a smile.
"What are you smiling about?"
Kat burst out into a fit of giggles, using the counter to hold herself up.
"Just tell me what you did!"
"You actually thought I killed my girlfriend," she managed between laughs.
"I wouldn't put it past you."
"What does that mean?"
"Oh, nothing, nothing."
"Anyway, I'm gonna go get Lila."
"Okay."
Kat disappeared for a couple minutes.
The Doctor had a sudden realisation of what she had done.
Kat ran back in a couple minutes later with Lila in toe.
"You bloody arse."
"What?" Kat asked, offended.
"A bloody sound. You made a bloody sound and didn't actually destroy anything! Why are you like this?" the Doctor ranted in frustration and laughter at the same time.
"Well, one, you deserved it. And two, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree."
"What did you just say?!"
"I have you as my father. What do you expect? A perfect angel of a child who does nothing wrong and does everything she's told exactly?"
The Doctor scoffed at her and made a few different facial expressions, deciding on what to say. He ended up staying silent.
"Precisely. If that was the case I'd think there'd be a large problem."
"Probably," he muttered.
"And I'm Kat sooo..."
"Whatever."
"Awww, is somebody mad he isn't right for once?"
"Shut up!" he yelled angrily, walking away and plopping onto the couch. He folded his arms.
"Grumpy pants today, huh?" Kat followed and sat across from him with Lila.
"No."
"I think so. Does somebody need a friend?"
"No, I do not."
"I think a puppy would do you some good."
"This is not how you're getting a dog."
"What about a dead dog?"
"No."
Kat rolled her eyes and put an arm around Lila. "What about a lady friend?" She waggled her eyebrows, trying not to laugh.
"No," the Doctor stated quickly, flushing red.
Kat shot up from the couch.
"You're blushing!"
"I am not!"
"Are too! Who? Why? When? Tell me!"
"No, it's not important anymore."
"Wait, I had a step mom?!" Kat stopped dead in her excitement.
"It was a long time ago."
"But I have a step mom?"
"Had."
"Is that why Amelia and Rory are my grandparents?"
"Well, if you hadn't already pieced it together, yes."
"Had? You said had. What?"
"She died."
"Oh. But she was like us..."
"At first, yes."
Kat stayed silent for a long moment before she sat back down beside Lila.
"Well, I'm really up for some s'mores now. How about you two?" He sat up, forcing a smile.
"Sure," Lila replied.
"Not hungry." Kat replied, curling up further into a ball into Lila.
"Well, I'll go get some for us then." The Doctor left the room.
"You're going to die one day. And I'm not." Kat mumbled quietly.
"I suppose so."
"You can't die though," Kat tried, sniffling.
"I don't have much of a choice."
Kat didn't reply, just snuggled closer once again, closing her eyes. She was soon asleep.
*****************
The Doctor stopped at the front door of Kat's apartment, his arms full of bags with s'more ingredients. Inside it was silent, and he cracked the door open, staring at the two on the couch.
"I got the s'mores!" he yelled, shoving the door open.
"Kat's asleep, SHOOSH." Lila replied.
"Kat doesn't wake up for crap," he retorted.
"How do you know that?"
"I'm her bloody father."
"She wakes up every time you yell in her ear."
"That's because it's in her ear. This is not. Look who's still asleep."
Lila looked down at Kat and back at him.
"Shut the hell up," Kat muttered, opening her eyes for a quick moment before curling back up and to sleep.
"Told you. She will not get up for anything."
"She just woke up."
"Is she off the couch?"
Lila shook her head, "Are you gonna make s'more or what?"
He threw the bag at her.
"What do you want me to do with this? I don't even know what a s'more is!"
"Yes you do. Just get two Graham crackers, a marshmallow, a piece of chocolate, and make a sandwich with them."
Lila carefully got up from the couch, moving Kat's head onto the cushion and walking over to the counter.
"Show me your ways!"
The Doctor laughed and walked over with her.
"First things first: Does Kat have a fireplace?"
"No, it's an apartment."
"So you know that, but you don't know what a s'more is."
"I just read it in a book one time.Shoos ."
"To the T.A.R.D.I.S.!"
**************
"Here we are!" The Doctor said, stepping inside a room with a giant fire pit in the middle.
"Why does the T.A.R.D.I.S. have a fire pit?" Lila asked.
"I don't know; she always comes prepared I guess."
"Okee dokee artichokee then." Lila set the bag down. "Kat told me about that expression."
"It would do you good to forget any expressions she teaches you."
"Why? It's adorable."
"Not even close. They say love severely distorts the perception of what is generally acceptable and extremely irritating."
"Aren't you her father?"
"Yes. What does that have to do with anything?"
"Isn't it normal for families to... I dunno..." she looked up from the bag, "love each other?"
"Yep."
"And you still find her annoying?"
"Of course. When you love someone, you don't have to be nice all the time. They just have to know you're joking when you say things, or you're just an arse."
"She's still adorable." Lila smiled to herself.
The Doctor laughed. "That's true, but I would never tell her to her face."
Lila grinned and handed him the package of marshmallows. "Why do we need fire again?"
"We are going to enflame the flesh of our gooey enemies and devour their diminished hearts."
"Cool!"
"I know," he said grinning. "Take a stick and put the marshmallow on the end. Then you have to hold it over the fire until it turns gold. Do not let the marshmallow catch on fire."
Lila nodded and shoved a marshmallow onto a stick, setting it by the fire.
"You have to hold it over the fire."
Lila grabbed it and held it in the fire.
"It's going to catch on fire! Above the fire!"
Lila moved it above. "Got it!"
"Finally," he stated, and started to make his own.
"How do you still trust her on her own?" Lila asked after a moment.
"She's my daughter; even if she destroys something, she'll fix it eventually. Besides, she isn't as bad as Amy."
"Amy?"
"Kat's grandmother. She was my best friend."
Lila stopped for a moment. "Interesting."
"How so?"
"Just your mother-in-law being your best friend."
"Oh, River wasn't alive when I started to travel with Amy. Afterwards, she married Rory, and had River. Although I'd already met River. She was actually my wife at the time. We didn't know she was their daughter."
Lila stared in confusion at him.
"Long story. In short, my wife's parents are my best friends and they are my daughter's grandparents."
"Okay..." Lila tried to wrap her mind around it, but just gave up.
"My marshmallow is done!"
"Hmm..." Lila pulled her marshmallow toward her and examined the nearly black mess.
"I told you to take it out when it was gold!"
"You we're talking about confusing things and distracting me!" Lila laughed.
"Whatever, it's still good." He took out two sets of two Graham crackers and a piece of chocolate. "Put your marshmallow on the Graham cracker!"
Lila did so, staring strangely at the thing.
The Doctor placed a piece of chocolate on top and another Graham cracker, shoving it down on top. He did the same for his.
"Here you go." He handed it to Lila.
She took it in her hand. "Why do humans eat these things?"
"They look bad, but trust me: they are awesome." He shoved the whole thing in his mouth.
She nodded and took a bite.
The Doctor waited expectantly for her reaction.
"It's okay. Very sweet."
"It's okay? It's okay?! You are crazy."
"I suppose so. But that kind of happens."
The Doctor rolled his eyes.
A crash echoed into the room.
The Doctor ignored it.
"I believe that would be the hint that Kat is awake."
"Right."
"Should probably make sure everything's okay..." Lila rose.
"Yep," The Doctor said, getting up too.
Lila started out the door, pausing for The Doctor to lead the way.
He walked out, starting back to the console.
***********
"Hey guyssssss..." Kat said, trying to be nonchalant as she leaned against the railing. There was broken glass everywhere.
"What did you do?" the Doctor asked.
"Pfffft, nothing!"
"Kat."
"I uh j-just kinda non-violently dropped a large glass thing in here, you know, the usual."
"What?"
"You know, kinda, sorta didn't throw anything and sorta dropped a glass thingy."
"I meant what did you drop."
"A glass thing."
"I don't even care, just meet me back inside when you've cleaned it up."
"Right..."  Kat nodded.
The Doctor left. Lila looked between the two and ran back to the apartment.
"Some people..." Kat muttered, starting to look around.
********
"Yo, fellow non humans!" Kat yelled gleefully.
"Hello!" the Doctor exclaimed.
"What are we doing?" She jumped over to him, climbing onto the countertop.
"Nothing."
"Then what are we going to do?"
"W H I S P E R." A voice echoed throughout the room.
"We are going to continue to talk and fend this thing off using skills you taught me."
"What? What skills? You don't have any."
"When you forgot everything it was because you actually got taken over by one of these and I saved your arse by sending you to that class. We just have to talk normally, apparently, and not draw attention to ourselves. We don't do like silence or yelling, as you said."
"Heh?" Kat looked back at Lila.
"You fell and forgot things. Monsters are here. Woop."
"Exactly." The Doctor went back to rambling about s'mores.
"It wants power, w h i s p e r."
"Yep."
"Where is it?" Kat asked.
"I don't know."
Kat stared at him for a long while. "You're making things up."
"Do you want to die here?"
"No."
"Then believe it."
"But you're lying."
"Then die."
"What is wrong with you?"
"If you don't believe me and try to stop it, then you'll die. Simple."
"What? What is the thing?"
"I don't know, but you seemed to."
"I did?"
"You knew what you were talking about, for once."
"What were they called?"
"I don't remember. I think it started with a K."
"Kaskifortiquefs? A whisper? I made that up a long long time ago. I needed a friend."
"Imaginary friends aren't always imaginary."
"I made it up, and it went badly. It wasn't real..." Kat looked down. "I was looking for someone to keep me company. I was strange. Whispers were normal."
"I doubt they were, but okay."
"They were to me! Nobody liked me!"
"Again, I doubt that."
"You can go back in your stupid time machine and experience it yourself!"
"She is not stupid! You go and experience yourself!"
"You want to see what happened?" She put her hands on her hips.
"Don't sass me!"
"Just go look for yourselves, you'll understand the creature." Kat pointed at the T.A.R.D.I.S.
"If we go, you can't leave the T.A.R.D.I.S."
"Okay. Promise."
"Do you really promise, or are you sneaking out again?"
"I promise all my lives on it."
"Okay. You fly."
Kat exhaled and ran to the T.A.R.D.I.S., already starting to poke buttons and coordinates and times, and pull levers. Lila ran inside, the Doctor following.
"And we're off," Kat pulled the final lever and held on, smiling proudly. The T.A.R.D.I.S. shook madly and stuttered to a stop
"Few notes before you two gooooo..." She began, turning to face them.
"Yes?" the Doctor questioned.
"One: I'm the little short haired brunette who is nearly always alone and is often wearing flowers. Two: Jeffrey is a jerk. Three: Don't touch the tree to the left of the water fountain in the main square. Little me will kill you in your sleep. That was my tree. Four: I believe I got you at the exact moment before the first bell for class rang. You'll find me sitting on the purple bench beneath my tree. If little me sees you pretend to be arguing, I'll stop paying attention. Good luck!" Kat grinned and opened the T.A.R.D.I.S. doors by clapping her hands.
"Okay then." The Doctor stepped out of the T.A.R.D.I.S. with Lila and was blinded by light as the bell rang. He spotted little Kat on her bench.
The girl was seated far across the main square of the court yard, surrounded by trees. In the center was a large fountain, guarded off with a short railing. Kids were running around on the play area in front of The Doctor and Lila, but Kat was alone, and speaking to thin air. Her backpack was set beside her, the glittery purple fabric shining in the afternoon light.
"What do you suppose this is?" The Doctor asked Lila.
"Primary School? Day Care of some sort."
"Who is she talking to?" he said, taking a few steps forward to get a closer look.
"Nothing's there..." Lila answered.
"S'cuse me, sir?" A boy ran up to them, charming blue eyes filled with curiosity.
"Yes?" the Doctor asked happily, leaning over to match his height.
"Why've you got a box?" He asked, pointing at the T.A.R.D.I.S. "I'm Jeffrey, by the way."
The Doctor's smile flickered for a moment before responding, "Everyone needs a box. Why haven't you one?"
"I've got a box for my watch, sir. It's not as nice as yours, though. Really, as long as you're better than the weird one by the tree, you'll be good." Jeffrey snickered.
"And why is that?"
"She's got no friends. Talks to herself. Emma said she tried to hit her once, even! Nobody likes her."
"Then why don't you try? I'm sure nobody likes you, either."
"Sorry, sir, but she's crazy." Jeffrey replied, not understanding the insult, and running off.
"I don't like him..." The Doctor stated.
"Kat did say he was a jerk." Lila added.
She diverted her attention to the bench where Kat was. This time, another little girl was standing in front of her.
"Oi!" the Doctor shouted across the lawn, waving to the two girls and walking up behind them.
Just as he stopped there, the other little girl screamed, running away from Kat. She glared after her.
"Hi, I'm the Doctor. It's come to my attention that you're a bit crazy. Is that true or is Jeffrey a jerk?"
"Why are you asking?" Kat questioned in a thick Scottish accent.
"I'm a bit mental as well." He beamed at her. "I feel like we'd be a good team. This is Lila, by the way. She's not as crazy, but still fun!" He pushed Lila in front of him.
"Why are you here?" Kat asked harshly, avoiding all his statements about being mental.
"I thought that you were interesting, so I decided to come and talk to you."
"Most kids just yell at me. You don't have to stay," she stated, starting to swing her feet.
"Well, I'm not most kids, am I?" he asked, leaning down in front of her.
"I suppose not. Why've you really come here?"
"I felt like it. Does there ever have to be a reason?"
"There's always a reason," she looked into his eyes, "Especially when it comes to you."
"What do you know about me?"
"You're weird. And you travel in a box. You try to do things, but very uncoordinated-like. And that-" she pointed at the box, "Is bigger on the inside. My friend told me."
The Doctor stood up. "Well doesn't your friend have quite the imagination. Who is this friend?"
"Whisper. He likes Time Lords."
"Interesting. Wait-where is he?"
"Right behind you." She pointed behind his shoulder and smiled.
He checked over his shoulder, spotting nothing.
"He says hello." Kat noted, diverting her eyes to the ground.
"Hello. Lila, don't be rude."
"Oh, uh, hello." Lila smiled awkwardly.
"You're pretty." Kat said to her quietly.
"Thank you." Lila mumbled.
"You should get to class, don't you think?"
"Why? It's no fun anyway. I already know everything they're teaching."
"How so?"
"Experience."
"What kind of experience?"
"Come on, Doctor. Nobody ever reveals their secrets at first."
"True."
Kat bit her lip. A kitten jumped onto the bench, nuzzling against her. "Go away, Fish." She pushed the kitten away.
"Don't be rude to the cat, cats are awesome."
"This one's annoying. I hate this one."
"No you don't; you still feed it, don't you?"
"Yeah..." Kat glanced at the kitten.
"Do you want to stop feeding it?"
"No... I don't plan on killing everything in sight."
"Then you obviously do not hate the furball."
Kat didn't respond, just stared at the ground intently. After a moment she spoke up.
"He wants to know why you really came. Whisper does."
"You obviously know a lot about me. Don't you know why I came?"
"No. Not really." She looked up at him.
"And Whisper?"
"He knows. He won't tell me."
"Well, you should get better friends. I have to go now, but it was good talking to you!" With that, the Doctor grabbed Lila's hand and led her back to the T.A.R.D.I.S.
Kat was leaning against the railing, zoned out. When they shut the door, she straightened up.
"Well?" She looked expectantly at the two.
"You were annoying," the Doctor stated.
Kat frowned. "Actually, I'd say I was more so angry. But if you insist." She wandered back to the controls. "Ready for the next time?"
"There's more?"
"Of course. Don't you want to see where it went wrong? You do." Kat started jabbing at controls and levers quickly.
"Ready for notes?" Kat asked.
"I guess."
"One: Don't touch my bloody tree, still. Two: Highschool Kat is strange. Possible violence. Beware. Three: Jeffrey is still a jerk, but now he has a posse composed of his two girlfriends. Four: If you get within three feet of me you'll probably be... um... just don't. Five: This is where it all went wrong. Good luck. You'll need it." She nodded solemnly and opened the door for them.
Before Lila left Kat whispered something in her ear, and then closed the door.
The Doctor and Lila looked around at the school hall.
"You see her anywhere?"
"Kat told me what she looked like. Bright green spiked hair. That's all I got."
"Well?"
"There." Lila pointed to Kat. A guy was standing in front of her. Kat was bloody short. Like, super short. The boy towered over her and she looked pissed.
"Get the hell away from me!" She yelled pushing against the boy. He curled his hands into fists.
"Not now, wacko."
"I'll bloody kill you," Kat muttered just loud enough.
"There we are. Should've known."
"Will she really kill him?" Lila asked, eyes wide.
"I don't know."
Lila started toward the two, looking back at him so he would follow.
"Red alert!" The Doctor began to walk the opposite way, dragging Lila with him.
"If you touch me, I'll personally find you while you're sleeping and impale you." Kat uttered to the guy, who had raised a fist.
"What's wrong with her?" Lila inquired, astounded at the girl.
"That's what happens to people when you leave them for too long."
The boy's fist collided with her face.
"You'll regret that, you bloody arse!"
Lila watched as the guy ran when Kat reached for his throat.
"B-but, she's so sweet now..." Lila mumbled.
"Yep."
The people in the hall dispersed, leaving just them and Kat, who was rummaging quietly through her locker.
"So, still a bit crazy, I hope?" the Doctor shouted to Kat, making his way across the hall to her.
She narrowed her eyes at him. "What do you want?"
"Do you not remember me? I want to bother you!"
"Well, a crazy man from the park in primary is quite hard to forget so..." she grabbed something shiny and shoved it in her pocket. Lila noticed it was a gun.
"How've you been?"
"Can you not get a hint?" She asked, turning to face him. "Not in the mood, old man."
She turned back to her locker, whispering something under breath to seemingly no one.
"Yes, yes, I'll use it on him, shush..."
"Honestly, you should learn how to hisper. You're friend is Whisper, right?"
"Yeah, why? He's the reason I'm in this bloody mess. And the reason you keep showing up."
"Precisely."
"All he says is for me to kill them." She mumbled, eyes softening.
"And do you listen?"
Her lip quivered. "It's hard! I just want it to stop, him to never have existed!" She slammed her locker shut and faced him, trembling.
"But it doesn't."
She stared at him with almond eyes that seemed to be drained of light.
He didn't say anything for a while, just leaned against the lockers.
A teacher rounded the corner, stopping.
"Ms. Wilson! What've I told you about skipping class? Office, let's go." The teacher folded her arms over her chest.
"She's coming with me," the Doctor stated, pulling out psychic paper and showing it to her.
"Right, right, of course. Sorry, sir." The teacher smiled slightly and hurried off.
"What was that?" Kat asked.
"I don't know what it says, usually something important."
"Why'd you keep me here?"
"Why do you think?"
"I'm a delinquent with green hair and a gun that peaks your interest?"
"Spot on!"
"You can have it, if you want. I've no use for it. It's only here because Whisper's entity comes from it. Destroy it for all I care."
The Doctor took it from her hand and pocketed it.
"I have to go..." Kat murmured, turning on her heel. "See you soon."
"What do you mean, 'see you soon'?"
But she had gone.
"Are you idiots coming, or what?" Kat from the T.A.R.D.I.S. yelled.
The Doctor didn't respond, just stood there staring at the place where Kat had stood.
"I was an arse, yeah. But, there's one last thing for you, so c'mon. I can't leave the T.A.R.D.I.S. so I can't push you inside. Let's go."
"Got it..." He stepped inside and leaned against the railing. Lila hopped inside after him just as the T.A.R.D.I.S. began to shutter to life.
"Okay. One: I'll have a blue Mohawk. Two: I'm clumsy. Three: Have fun, don't get into trouble with yourself."
"How recent is this?"
"Exactly ten minutes before I got stuck in the T.A.R.D.I.S. and met you before our travels. Lila, stay here."
"Why can't Lila come with?" the Doctor inquired.
"There are some things that can never be seen by her. She needs to stay here."
"Okay." The Doctor stepped out the doors and stared at the streets around him. The sky was dark as everything. The dim street lamps cast a warm glow on the autumn trees.
A girl was sat on a bench beneath one lamp, phone sat beside her and her jacket dropped on the ground.
"You've changed quite a bit." The Doctor sat next to her.
"I guess I have, haven't I? Though I don't suspect you have by the looks of you." She hummed absentmindedly. "Please be patient. And take the gun and explode it. I have somewhere to be, things to run into, and people to formally meet in the right time order." She grinned, standing up, leaving her phone and jacket, then running off.
"Well, that was strange..." The Doctor picked up her phone and jacket, heading back to the T.A.R.D.I.S.
"Why'd you take that! No! Throw it into the street with the gun and slam the door shut!" Kat yelled anxiously, running up to him.
"Why?"
"Just do what I said! Quickly!" She pushed him toward the door.
He complied and shut the door. "What's so special about those objects?"
"Wait for it..." she trailed off, hands on hips.
The T.A.R.D.I.S. shuttered once more and she peaked out one of the little windows.
"Three, two, one..."
A voice could be heard from outside the T.A.R.D.I.S. "Woah!"
Kat slammed down one of the buttons and they all jerked sideways.
"Now, if you would have wasted any more time we would be in a horrible paradox."
"Was that you?" the Doctor questioned in astonishment.
"Technically, yes." Kat replied.
"How did you-"
"Wait for it..." she mumbled.
"Waiting."
"Hello, I would fancy it if you let me out." A small voice, though distant, could be heard.
The Doctor stared at her with an open mouth.
"And I believe at this point we should head back to my apartment, which should be Whisper free now that you've disposed of the gun?"
"Right. That was good."
"Hold on...one more thing."
"Do I look like a bloody voice interface to you?!" Another distant, drifting echo.
"You are so bloody brilliant."
Kat smiled brightly, silently freaking out with pride.