Swimming Dreams

Enjoy this short, 350 word one shot. Prepare for Rey angst. Takes place right after TLJ.
***

Her mind often wandered to peaceful memories while she slept, so she was hardly surprised when she dreamt about the island that night. But something was odd. Misplaced. The waves crashed uneasily in the cove, guiding her forward. Her toes crept into the ocean, searching for a reason to the restlessness in her stomach. She waded through the icy water, her legs numbing instantly to the chill. The folds of her robes kissed the surface until she was finally knee deep. Her eyes continued to scan across the horizon, which was now glassed over with a thick, gray fog, until... a black cloak rested a few meters away from her, almost completely blended into the rocky shore. It floated, moving up and down with each wave that passed underneath it. The scavenger held her breath. She knew who it belonged to.

"Ben," she called out softly, resisting the urge to run forward. When no answer responded, she closed her eyes. Perhaps she could force herself to dream of another place. Another place without the haunting of Ben Solo. When she opened her eyes again, not only hadn't the situation changed, but she was now crouched down over the lifeless cape. The water was much deeper here, but she found herself still only knee deep, floating effortlessly with the waves. With shaking hands, Rey touched the cloak, but immediately flinched backwards. The body attached to the fabric slowly turned over as if on its own, though she knew he was not alive. Ben's clouded brown eyes pierced her with such intensity that Rey couldn't help the small cry that shifted through her throat. Both her hands crept through the water, her fingertips brushing across the face of the man whom she had only seen yesterday. They had /fought/ together. Together. She was suddenly stricken with a disease of guilt, swelling beyond her intoxicated mind straight to her heart. There it stayed. She could have saved him.

This was the first time she dreamt of Ben Solo, but it wouldn't be her last.