Darkrai x Child!Reader: Nightmares

It had been raining a lot in the Sinnoh region lately, and Darkrai wasn't at all fond of the wet, especially rain. It collected in the cavity between the red growth and his head, and it was always an awkward ordeal to try and get it all out. So, he decided to travel to the Alola region for a while, which he'd heard about from one of the humans.

Upon his arrival, it quickly turned dark and while he wasn't sure why, he didn't question it. Rather, he instead planned to enjoy the quietness of the shore of one of the islands.

Suddenly, he then felt the presence of... a nightmare. More specifically, one he hadn't even caused. As he went to go investigate, he ended up in a rainy little town. Darkrai made a beeline for the building the nightmare was coming from, not wanting to get wet. He slunk into the shadows and slipped through a window. Peeking his head out, the shadow looked around the room.

He paused as his eyes laid upon the sleeping figure of a small girl, her eyes were tightly closed shut and her eyebrows furrowed in discomfort. In her arms, a Lucario plush was being tightly hugged as small sniffles could be heard in the room.

Darkrai was the creature of nightmares, he created them, and Cresselia created dreams, they were supposed to balance out each other. So of course, he was used to giving people nightmares, but he had to admit he didn't enjoy what he did; he just did what he had to.

"Well, I am the pokemon who's supposed to give nightmares, and if Cresselia isn't here to ban them from here, it is up to me to do something about it." Darkrai knew in the back of his mind he was just feeling sorry for her and wanted to help, but lied to himself, knowing that he shouldn't become soft for others.

He sighed before entering her dream, searching for whatever could be bothering her.

As the darkness around him cleared out, he found himself in a forest, in the deep of night, he floated for some time before hearing a scream, he followed where the sound was coming from and ended up in a small path of dirt. He heard footsteps coming so he hid behind some bushes and trees, waiting to see what was going on.

He saw the girl, looking younger than she did on the real world, running with tears streaming down her face; she almost fell several times from running so fast. Not too far behind, a Hypno, Haunter and a Munna chased her, malicious evil grins on their faces; they must have used Dream Eater and Nightmare so they could feed of her fear.

Darkrai scowled, fear wasn't the only source of food for those pokemon, but it was the easier one. He followed the group, still hiding from their field of vision.

~

The child ran as fast as her legs could carry her, sobbing while trying not to look back, she knew she wasn't fast enough, she wasn't gonna make it, so she tried to lose them making a sharp turn to the right, only to slip and fall, she cursed mentally at herself and got up as fast as she could, she glanced over her shoulder and immediately started sprinting after Haunter's hand almost grabbed her. She saw a cave close by and thought that maybe she could lose them in the dark.

She ran towards it but froze after realizing it had no paths to follow, only a stone wall, she looked back and saw the three pokemon grinning while preparing their attacks, her eyes widened as she started to cry more, she put her hands over her face and curled up on the ground trying to shield herself.

The haunter threw a Shadow Ball at her, she closed her eyes waiting for the impact, but after some time waiting, she felt nothing.

After hearing the Mon's gasp, she slightly opened her eyes, before they widened in surprise.

~

Darkrai stood in front of her, having used Feint Attack to repel the Shadow Ball. He prepared to use Dark Void, and only by preparing the attack, the pokemon already ran away in fear.

He sighed and turned around to look at the girl, and was quite surprised to see a curious face other than a scared one, she had stopped crying and tried to get up, he handed out his hand for her, which she gladly took to get up.

-Thank you! – She said with a smile, her voice was weak from all the running and crying, which kind of tugged on Darkrai's heart, which he just shook off.

After dusting her clothes off she looked up at him, and the moment their eyes met, she woke up.

~

Her eyes opened suddenly and her heart raced for a moment, she was quite surprised she was able to remember so much about her Dream-turned-Nightmare, after calming down a bit, she sat up, rubbing her eyes. She looked around her room and only then noticed the same pokemon from her dream, floating in her room with a slightly worried look, quickly turning to an unreadable expression after their eyes met.

-Oh! You're the pokemon from my dream! How..?- Did you go into my dream? – She said, her thoughts clearly coming from her mouth the moment she thought of them, probably since she just woke up. Darkrai nodded, floating lower as he tensed down.

-How.? – She asked looking at him with curious eyes.

-I am Darkrai, the pokemon of nightmares. – He said with a bit of difficulty, since he doesn't need to speak human language very often. The girl looked surprised; Darkrai rethought his words, maybe calling himself the pokemon of nightmares might have made it look like he was the one causing her nightmares.

-You talk?! Wait.., you're Darkrai! The Mythical pokemon! – Her eyes lit up as she spoke in an excited manner. Darkrai was a bit taken aback by her reaction, he expected something far worse than that, after all, he wasn't treated very well by others.

I'm (Y/N)! - Her expression turned slightly more serious as she remembered something. -Thank you so much for helping me back there, i dunno what i'd do if you hadn't appeared. – Her smile came back. - I have some Pokebéans with me! Here – She jumped out of bed and went into a drawer and returned with a bag, handing it out for him. – It's the least i can do to thank you! – She smiled

He took the bag in his clawed hands, taking one of the beans and examining it before his red jaw opened and he swallowed the food, a glad and surprised expression appeared on his face as he munched on some more Pokebéans. The girl giggled.

-You're not from Alola, right? Pokebéans must be new to you. – He stopped eating after realizing he had lost his composure and looked back at her nodding, he packed the rest of the food and stored it somewhere.

(Y/N) yawned, and Darkrai remembered it was probably time to go back to Sinnoh.

-It is time for me to leave. - (Y/N) wanted him to stay longer, but held back.

-Right, you're a mythical pokemon; you must have important things to do... Are you going back to you region? – He nodded – Well, when i'm 12, i'm going to go on my pokemon journey, and i'm going to travel all over the world! So one day, we might meet again! Ok? – She stuck her hand out for him to shake, and a carefully as possible, he took her small hand into his and nodded. – Great! *Yawn* Goodbye Darkrai. – She said lying down to go back to sleep.

-Goodbye – he answered, before mixing with the shadows and leaving the house.

~

Darkrai couldn't help but smile after leaving, he was incredibly overwhelmed by the whole situation, not only had a human (a child at that) not been scared, but friendly towards him; she also gave him a gift and wanted to meet again. Darkrai knew he shouldn't lift his expectations, but deep down, he was excited to meet her again.