0.1

GRAYSON DOLAN
'dylan or tobias?'

I looked at the glittery, black and red mask in the palm of my hand and reconsidered whether sneaking in to Leanna Cole's masquerade ball would be worth the trouble

I looked at the glittery, black and red mask in the palm of my hand and reconsidered whether sneaking in to Leanna Cole's masquerade ball would be worth the trouble. The only reason I wanted to go was for her best friend, Larsa Prince (who had been my infatuation from the moment I'd laid eyes on her).

A gush of cold wind streamed through the window, into my room as goosebumps formed on the surface of my skin. I smoothed my suit down of any crinkles which were a result of reaching to close the window, then proceeded to re-adjust my tie for what must have been the tenth time as my vision flicked to the lengthy mirror that adorned my bedroom wall. I tied the intricate mask around my head before taking another look at the ensemble. I sighed with relief, satisfied with the way the mask covered my features and matched my classic designer suit which accentuated my muscular, toned physique that had once caught the eye of  Larsa. I assumed it would be impossible for anybody to notice me.

I had adopted someone else's name for the night, someone who I knew would be on the guest list as my own name had been excluded.

I had told my best friend, Sebastian (who had dropped out of college a few months prior), about the party being thrown by Leanna. He and I had really bonded as of late through being each other's wingman during late nights out drinking. Once he decided to quit college it was as though a huge weight had been lifted off his broad shoulders. He works as an intern club promoter now.

Seb had insisted that I should try my hardest to get my name on the guest list for the masquerade ball, but when I'd approached Larsa's friend Leanna about making room for me she simply scoffed, uttered the name 'Dylan Chambers' and waltzed away with her hips swaying dramatically from side to side.

Dylan Chambers happened to be the captain of our college football team (the best in the state of California), as well as holding the title of my arch nemesis.

He hated me and I, him.

It was an unhealthy situation we'd landed ourselves in about three years ago in senior year of high school when he had found out I'd been fooling around with his girlfriend at the time. Of course I had no clue she was taken, which obviously, I explained. But ever since then he'd had it in for me.

Then we wound up at the same college, and now he dates Leanna, so clearly I'd ended up on the 'not invited' list.

So when I trudged back to my dorm with my tail between my legs I texted Seb to let him know I'd been snubbed which prompted his ridiculous idea that included me sneaking into the party. 'It's masquerade anyway, isn't it?' he'd asked to which I replied 'yeah but we need to show ID.'

So, Sebastian being Sebastian got a hold of someone who makes fake identifications and hooked me up with a drivers license by the name of 'Dylan Chambers'.