c. 1

RONS POV.

rumbling comes from outside the gates, the new group pulling in.

i shove my knife into my holster, and join everyone outside to greet them.
we don't need more people here. as much as i love to help others, i don't wanna risk Alexandria in anyway.
but it's not my call.

it's Deanna's.

most of alexandrians stay inside when the new group shows up.

when the gates open, it reveals the group, larger than i expected.
all dirty, sun-kissed, and clearly exhausted.

a  teenage boy catches my attention. he has icy blue eyes and long brown-shaggy hair.

he's skinny, but his tight shirt reveals some muscle.
his brown sheriffs hat hides the sun from his face, but his eyes are squinted.

he's a little bit more on the shorter side, but it suits him well.
beside him is a taller man, with a medium beard, and a baby.

a little baby girl.
i wonder who the child's parents are? probably the man holding her.

i look back at the boy, who looks around my age, (i'm seventeen) maybe slightly younger. but fourteen at the youngest.
i look him up and down, he's cute as hell.

his eyes lock with mine, and I quickly look away.

"welcome to Alexandria." Deanna says proudly, giving a toothy-smile.

"we'll need your weapons now." she says, and a cart rolls up, Spencer and Reggie taking their weapons, then searching them for more.

"ron." Deanna looks over at me.
Usually she doesn't ask me for much, but i do help out a lot around here when she does.

"take the baby to denise. we need to make sure she's healthy and gets vaccinated."
i nod, and walk up towards the man holding her.
he hesitates.

"she's safe with me." i say to him.
"be careful with her." he almost snaps, and softly placed her into my arms.
i'm awfully close to the boy, i feel his eyes on me.
i nod.

the baby/toddler cries, and i hold her in my arms, admiring her features.

she has similar ones to the unknown boy.
this can't be his child, he looks too young to have a kid. but from the looks, I can tell that they're definitely related in some way. maybe siblings, cousins, or something.

"judith." the man says, "her names judith."

I nod, and begin to head to the infirmary as the group is introducing themselves.

"rick, you're the leader of your group?"

i hear faint conversation, and as i continue to walk the voices fade.

-

denise admires the baby, and plays with her.
"she's adorable." she smiles.
"her names judith." i smile, it's a pretty name.
it's been forever since i've seen a baby, which was probably seven years ago, when Sam was born.

i give a little nod. "Deanna just wanted a check up, and wanted to know if you had anything she could eat."

"i'll have Olivia run by Aaron and Eric today and see if they have any applesauce made, I'm sure we can give her that."