CHAPTER ONE

SYRE JACKSON has stood out his whole life

          SYRE JACKSON has stood out his whole life. Not just because he's always been one of the only kids of color in town—although that alone already makes him not just stand out, but also be a target. And, for what? No real reason.

But no, that still isn't even the main reason as to why the boy stands out. It's definitely a factor, but it's not the main reason.

No, you see, Syre Jackson is what many people would describe as odd. Especially for an old, reserved town like Hawkins. 

He likes to paint his nails pretty colors, and he loves poetry and art and sees it in just about everything— but the thing that makes him stand out the most, the thing that makes everyone envy him— is the fact that he's so carefree. He does not care about what the world has to say about him, and he's happy. Some might even call him fearless.

He's a happy, carefree person who loves expressing himself and could not give a single flying fuck as to what anyone thinks.

The boy's peculiar tastes range everywhere from his vocabulary to his choice of clothing. Speaking of, as Syre makes his way out of his house, he's searching for his favorite article of clothing.

The light-wash denim jacket that he painted a stunning pattern of flowers on, making it beautifully unique.

Once he finds it, he throws it on and briefly looks in the mirror, feeling content when seeing how nice it complements his yellow shirt that's tucked into his black jeans.

"What the hell are you still doing here? You should already be on your way, you're gonna be late!" Syre turns once he hears the voice of his best friend, who is also his guardian.

He looks at Meli and sees that the woman is still in her pajamas.

"Meli, you haven't even changed yet-- don't you have work soon?"

Meli's eyes widen a bit, as if realizing that Syre is indeed correct and quickly rushes him out the door.

"Yeah, well, I have a car. And, you refuse to accept my offers to give you a ride. Just go! Meet me at the cafe when you get out of school, my shift ends at 4:30 today. Have fun at school, te amo!"

Syre chuckles at the girl before he grabs his backpack and heads out the front door, making his way to school.

The boy always walks, as he doesn't have his drivers license yet. Or a car. Although, even if he did have his license and a car, Syre would like to think that he'd still walk to school.

He prefers to not accept Meli's offers to drive him because he knows that she already does so much for him. The woman is only twenty-nine, raising a seventeen-year-old and already managing to provide for the both of them.