Chapter 5: The Wall

"Thomas" He muttered quietly, still on the ground. All of the gladers around him were silent.

Thomas jumped up, looking around at everyone, "Hey, Thomas! I remember my name, I'm Thomas!!" He shouted.

Alby pointed to him, "Thomas!" He cheered, the other gladers erupted in cheers and they all crowded around Thomas.

Some kids shook his hand, others patting his back and such. "Welcome home Thomas." One guy, Thomas thought he had heard he was called Frypan, said with a wide grin, handing him some of Gallys drink.

Thomas managed to chug some of it down. He handed the drink off to someone else, then turned to see Gally. Gally shook his hand, "Good job, Thomas" Gally said in a way calmer voice than before.

All of the chatter was inturriptwd by a loud, obnoxious screech coming from the maze. They all turned in that direction, "What was that?" Thomas asked.

"That, my friend, was a griever." Gally told him, turning to Thomas, "don't worry, you're safe with us. Nothing gets through those walls."

"Alright guys, let's tuck it in for tonight. Come on, goodnight." Alby told everyone. They then all started slowly making heir way to their sleeping areas.

Thomas felt a hand grip his shoulder and turned back to see Newt give a small smile, and Thomas couldn't help but return a small one as well.

He took one look back at the maze, then he went off to his and Chucks hammocks.

— —

Thomas found himself having an odd dream that night. He had no idea what was going on, it was all a blur of different images, but one thing he remembered specifically was a girl talking to him. She sounded familiar, but he couldn't remember anything about her.

— —

Thomas woke up to Alby outing a hand over his mouth and shushing him. Alby looked down at him, "Come with me."

They walked across the Glade, Alby carried a knife with him. They stopped near one of the walls, "Peaceful, isn't it? It's hard to believe but it wasn't always like this. We lost a lot of boys to fear, to panic. But we've come far since then. We established order, we made peace." Alby told him.

"Where you telling me this?" Thomas asked.

"Because you're not like the others, you're curious. But you're one of us now. You need to know what that means." Alby said, handing Thomas the knife and showing Thomas a wall.

There were names carved into it. He recognized some, like Alby, Newt, Chuck, and Gally, but the rest he didn't know. Some were crossed off, making Thomas get a bad feeling.

"What happened to them?" He asked, pouting to a couple of the crosses off ones.

"Like I said, dark days Thomas."

Thomas understood those words. Those people, they had died.

He paused for a moment before stepping forward and carving his name right above Newts.

— —

That's day Alby had assigned Thomas with the Track-Hoes, basically the gardeners. He didn't really think that he liked gardening, but he got to work with Newt today.

He had only know the boy for not even 24 hours, but he considered Newt and Chuck his friends. They both had been pretty welcoming and comforting so far.

In the middle of the morning shift, Thomas soon found himself filling with questions again. So, naturally, he asked them. After all, Newt helped him get answers.

"Has anyone every tried climbing to the top?" He asked Newt, who was tying up some of the vines.

"Tried it. The ivy doesn't go all the way to the top, besides, where are you gonna go from there?"

"Well, what about the box? You know, next time it comes up y-"

"No, we tried that. The box won't go back down with someone in it."

"Okay, well what if we-"

"No, we tried it, alright? Twice. Alright, trust me. Anything that you think of, we've already tried. The only way out here is through the maze." Newt said, pausing, "Now look, you wanna be helpful?" He asked, throwing Thomas a basket, "go dig us up some more fertilizer." Newt said, putting a hand on his hip.

Newt seemed a bit sassy at that point, but Thomas thought it was kind of cute. He found himself looking back to Newt as he walked towards the woods.