The end of the world

The end came quick.
My family, our friends and I were on a camping trip. It was the second day of the trip when suddenly the ground started to shiver.
My boyfriend and I laid on a towel near the lake where we camped. His two little twin sisters were still in the water playing.
"Did you feel that?"
He noticed it first.
"What?"
"The ground was shaking for a moment."
He looked confused and reached out for my hand.
"Jace you're scaring me..."
Then I felt it too. The earth trembled and a deep growl appeared from behind us.
Jace jumped up dragging me with him.
"Get the girls!"
We started running towards the twins. After Jace and I pulled his sisters into our arms we headed to the tents. When I looked back for a second my stomach dropped. The sky was black, sprinkled with bright red dots. The soft breeze turned into a storm causing my hair to take my sight.
Suddenly I felt Jace' hand in mine leading me through the trees. From across the distance we could hear our parents crying out our names and in that moment the girls started to shed tears too.
As we arrived at our place my mum and dad pulled me into a tight hug.
"I'm so glad you're back! We were worried about you!"
I didn't say anything I was too shocked by the things which were happening around us. There were screams and other loud noises. I just wanted to cuddle up in a ball and wait for it to be over again.
"Sir where are our mum and dad?"
My parents looked at each other. I knew that look. They didn't quite want to tell.
"Jace... we tried to stop them but they just ran off to search for you."
My boyfriend's face turned white. The only thing I could do was to take his hand back in mine and squeeze it like he did several times before to comfort me.
"Would you please take the twins with you? I have to find them."
"Jace no!"
I felt tears forming in my eyelids. I didn't want him to be alone out there.
"It's alright baby. I'll be back in no time. You won't even notice that I was gone."
"Don't say that..."
I stared at the ground, tears falling from my eyes. I couldn't loose him. It's selfish but I needed him to be happy.
"Hey... look at me."
He grabbed my chin. Forcing me to meet his eyes.
My parents already headed to the car to put the little girls inside of it. They were waiting for me to get in there too. I couldn't believe that they let Jace go.
"Ash it's gonna be alright. I promise. I'll find my parents and I'll find you. Just get to a safe place. Please! If you refuse to do it for me then do it for the twins! You are their big sister!"
As if his words would make anything better! This situation was so fucked up and I just wanted it to end.
"I love you Ash."
He gave me a kiss and ran back into the woods. I stood there on my own until my dad came to pick me up. I shouted out and punched his back but he didn't let me go. It only caused him to hold me even more tight.
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
The roads were stuffed with cars and people. They were screaming at each other or crying in their cars.
I tried to comfort the girls before but my thoughts always trailed off to Jace so I gave up and plugged my ear buds in. Hopefully my music would help me to calm down a bit. It worked for two minutes so I gave up on this too.
My parents didn't say much. They just listened to the news on the radio which reported that all over the world were terrible storms, earthquakes and tsunamis.
There were scientists talking about those environmental disasters and explaining why it's happening - well it would be more accurate to say that they were attempting to do so.
"Please turn it off..."
I looked outside my window and kept tabs on the situation on the street. A little way above two cars and a truck collided , causing the traffic.
At the end of the street was a big supermarket.
"Honey we should get some groceries."
My mum touched my dad's arm and pointed to the building. He simply nodded.
It took over an hour just to drive down the road to the supermarket. When we arrived I was about to explode. I was so scared. My heart raced like I only went on a ten hour march, my feet were cold as ice and my whole body felt like there were thousands of ants running over it.
"I need to get out of here!"
I jumped out of the car and headed towards the entrance.
"Ash!"
"Ashley come back! ... No stay with the girls!"
I heard the doors of our car. My dad was following me but I wasn't keen on going back into this prison.
I weaved through the masses. Panic was creeping in the air and the people were running around like headless chicken.
It was too much. I couldn't take it anymore.
I broke down and started to cry. I wanted to be with Jace again. I needed him to feel safe, to hug me tight and stroke my hair softly.
And all of a sudden my wish came true.
"Hey baby! I've found you!"
My head shot up. There he was in all his greatness.
"Jace!"
I jumped into his arms and kissed his neck.
"Are you okay? My god I missed you so much!"
"Oh baby I was gone for two hours or something!"
He chuckled but I wasn't able to laugh. This whole the-world's-ending situation was quite nerve-racking.
As soon as the second deep growl roared through the aisles we both knew it was going to be over in just a few minutes.
"Where are the twins?"
"In the car with mum."
"Good. Thank you for looking after them."
New tears formed in my eyes and I squeezed him even more tight.
"I love you Jace!"
"I love you too baby."
Our lips met for the last time. This wasn't the ending I imagined. I always thought I would die at the age of 90. After I was happily married for about 60 years, had two amazing children and a farm full of puppies. At least I would die in the arms of my great love.
The last thing we heard was a very loud bang outside and with that, life on planet earth ended.