1: The Volturi

My Babies!!!!

I am officially back on the scene! Yay! To me and to you! Yays for everyone!

So, let's without further ado, get you the first chapter of Going Across The Horizon!

***

We weren't alone.

A handful of people were strewn about the room, dressed in seemingly inconspicuous clothes that at a closer inspection were clearly silks, satins and delicate gossamers.

There were women too, in gowns made of a light breathy material that shimmered as they moved, the light which shone through the windows set high in the walls making their skin translucent. All of them, of course, inhumanly beautiful, their timeless features accentuated by the irresistible draw of vampire aura. If I didn't already know what they were, I would've thought I'd walked into a Faerie Court.

They stopped what they were doing as we entered, going unnaturally still, crimson eyes fixed on us. I shivered involuntarily against Edward but he gave no indication that he felt me shudder, keeping his own luminous green gold eyes turned straight ahead.

"Welcome,"

My eyes travelled back to the stone platform on which three golden thrones rested, all of them occupied.

The one in the middle rose up gracefully, throwing out his arms as if to engulf us all in a warm embrace. He was wearing a completely black suit, his long inky black hair merging with the fabric to almost look like a hood. A golden necklace hung from his neck, similar to almost all of them, I noticed.

His skin looked delicate, like a baby's but I was sure it would be as impenetrable as Edward's. His deep crimson eyes studied our party with interest.

With lithe dancer steps, he was down the steps and in front of us, clasping Alec and Jane to himself for a second before going to Demetri and Felix and stroking their faces lovingly, as if they were adoring pets.

"Ah, such comforts to me," he said, his voice breathy as he finally turned to look at us.

"We have guests! What joy! Jane...?" he held out his hand and the petite girl walked to her master, sliding her smaller hand into his.

He stayed smiling for a while, staring at us while he read everything Jane had to offer.

"Interesting," he said at long last, dropping the girl's hand. "Why, I must say I am sad that my beloved Carlisle didn't deign to join this little party but I must be glad for this party, I suppose. Alice...would you be a dear and...?" he held out his hand next to my best friend, maybe because Edward's arms were practically welded around me.

I balled my fists as Alice took a single step forwards, her hand in his and he smiled again, this time closing his eyes.

"Ah Alice, how I have missed you," he smiled a saccharine smile which Alice returned albeit a little worriedly and then the man's eyes finally settled on me.

"Now then my dear,"

That smile was still on his face but now it was beginning to get creepy.

"Tulika," I said my voice low.

"I know my dear, I know, why I feel like I've known you forever now!" he let out a melodious laugh as he finally stretched out a hand to me. "I wonder, if you would be so kind so as to..." he tilted his head. "I have two versions of you from two different people but I would rather have the story from the main person."