Sealed and Silenced: Chapter 12

Chairs scrape against the wood along with the sound of tables flipping. Skittering feet make the ground shake beneath my still body. Men’s voices layer each other and they soon resort to yells. But Viktor’s is heard over all the rest.

“You little weasel! I always knew you were good for nothing!” Viktor rages at Mia, but doesn’t make an attempt to push her off of me; I think he’s being restrained by the amount of shuffling and men’s groans.

“Why Billy kept you around all these years is beyond me. You... you filthy –” Viktor is cut off by a door slamming open. The room hardens as a brisk chill enters the air.

“-the hell is going on here?” His Scottish accent rings out. A man stumbles forward.

“Sir, the new whore, well she, she tried to get away with some food, alls we wanted was some morning wood with her, see, and she just took off.” His words come in a mumbled rush. “Then Viktor started chasing her, and she hit ‘em. He started beatin’ her, sir. Then after that –” The man was cut off.

“I’ve heard enough, Gunter. Now, get up, all of ya.” His words hang in the air like frosted snowflakes.  I hear the commotion of men pulling each other up, groaning, and muttering insults.

Slowly, Mia raises her body from mine. She is shaking, but her face shows little fear. It has the strangest expression on it, like she cares about me. This was all too bizarre.

I lie still on the floor, covered in mine and Viktor’s blood. I see a slender hand come into view, to hold my slippery own. Mia pulls me to my feet.

I lean against her, barely able to stand. My legs feel weak and I feel faint from blood loss. My eyes are nearly closed and puffed up; I can barely see Billy approaching me. His fingers reach for my chin. I flinch away.

“You don’t want to do that,” Billy growls. His threatening tone scares me. I let him touch my face, examining my wounds. After about a minute of inspection, turning my head side to side, lifting my arm, looking at the pool of blood on my shirt, he lets me go.

Billy turns to a fuming Viktor, who is being restrained by the same two men who took me away from the basement.

“You imbecile,” Billy spat.  “You did this?” Viktor nods sheepishly. “Do you know who pays for her, every night?” Viktor shakes his head. He doesn’t dare speak. “The same man who allows me to pay your damn salary.”

‘Oh’ is the only sound that comes out of Viktor’s mouth. Billy takes a threatening step towards Viktor.

“Fucking bonehead,” Billy’s thick hand lands on the side of Viktor’s face.

“Boss, I’m sorry. I didn’t know!”

“No shit. Get the fuck out of here. I don’t want to see you again.” Viktor looks shocked. He takes a moment to digest that he’s been fired.

“Boss-” Billy doesn’t answer his protests. He turns his back, unfortunately him turning his back means he is staring at Mia at me. I can’t make out his expression through my swollen eyes, but it really can’t be good.

“You,” he said. I think he points his finger at Mia, or maybe ten fingers. “Explain, now.” I can’t tell if he is overly angry or not. His face is blurred from blood and pain. Mia takes a moment to process what she is going to say.

 “I... I saw Viktor beating this girl up. She seemed really nice in the hallway; I think she was only hungry. She’s not used to this life, Billy. She needs time to adjust, not be pushed around so much by men who only think with their dicks. I was trying to help. He was beating her senseless.”

There was a creepy silence that hung in the air. Cold sweat laces my back. I don't know what Billy was going to do with us. The suspense was going to kill me if my wounds didn’t bleed out.

“Very well, Mia. But you don’t get to intervene with my men. I really don’t care about your intentions. My men rank higher than your skanks. Do you understand?” Mia nodded furiously. “Nevertheless,” Billy started to inspect his nails. “You will be spending time in the basement. Three days at least.”

“Billy –” Mia starts.

“Take her with you. I’ll send down some things to clean her wounds. I want her nice and shining when you come back. Take them down.” Billy must have nodded to a couple of men, because seconds later, firm arms wrap around my uninjured arm. I lean on him for support and barely noticed when he starts to lead me down the stairs.  I can’t tell if Mia is behind me or not. I can just keep myself from slipping into the darkness.

Carter, my mind calls. But there is no answer, only black. The air around me seems to get colder and damper.

“Is there someone here who can help this girl?” A fierce voice calls within the dark. I start to slump against the man who holds me. I don’t know if it’s from blood loss or from pain, or even shock, but it feels unbelievably good to lean against someone. “Anyone?” The man calls again.

I can hear his voice from what seems like a million miles away. It’s like the chimes to a wedding, a savior of light to my dark. 

“I will. I will be this woman’s ward.” I try and stumble forward, to reach his voice, to reach him. Anything. I want to sink into him.

“Not without me.” I recognize Mia’s voice, it sounds deeper and more muffled than usual. 

“Mia,” I slur. “Car...” My voice bubbles with blood. I trail off and my last ounce of strength that had held me against the male body now goes crashing to the dirt floor.

| A/N: Thanks for reading!! Please don't forget to comment, vote, and fan please!! |