Part 5 I Make a Call

Part 5: I Make a Call

-One Day Until Todd's Birthday-

I hadn't actually gone home the night before. I had been too stressed out to sleep in my own bed, so I slept in my cot in the base. And by slept, I mean I laid in bed for hours trying not to think about how terrible everything was.

That was why I made a call. I didn't know what else to do.

And so I found myself in a place I hadn't been to in a long time. All the times I had gone there in the past, it had been out of confusion. Desperation. 

Unfortunately, it didn't seem like that was gonna change.

Celebi was desperate to calm me, speaking rapidly. "I can assure you, I will do-" She paused to duck into a time portal before coming out nearly instantaneously. "-absolutely everything I can to help you. I can't imagine what you must be going through. We will get Adrian back."

I shook my head. "I'm not worried about getting sympathy. Just keep doing what you're doing."

Celebi seemed bothered by that. She fluttered down to my eye level and looked into my eyes with her own large blue ones. "Look, Todd. You've...been through a lot. I interact with a lot of others who keep watch over the time stream. We've seen everything. But you are something unique. You've been through some rough times. You may have powers, but that doesn't make you superhuman. You have a strength within you that's unlike most of the multiverse. That's why we chose the six of you. The six that would never give up."

Celebi hung her head. "I need to tell you this. Throughout my existence, I've been able to look through the time stream and see things that are about to pass. I've seen a number of your adventures before they even happened. But now..." She shook her head. "I can't see it, Todd. As soon as you leave to end this, it...disappears."

I swallowed. "What does that mean?"

"I wish I knew."

I looked away. I wasn't going to pretend to understand how timelines worked. And considering everything that was going on, it was probably better that I be focused.

I was reminded of something. "You're sure you couldn't get any of the other five?"

Celebi shook her head. "Unfortunately, they're all a little busy. Mega's not even in control of his body at the moment, Sonic's entire universe is out of whack. The others aren't available either."

I nodded. "Oddly convenient for him."

Celebi shrugged. "The timeline seeks balance. Inviting a bunch of powerful, hotheaded idiots into one universe for an extensive amount of time is going to cause some problems."

"I'll try to see that as a compliment." I responded. I glanced down at my watch, finally taking notice of the time. "I should get back to the base."

"I should have everyone there by the time you get back. I know they aren't your ideal choices, but they're the best help I can find."

"Thanks." I told her. "I do appreciate it."

As I began to leave her cave, she swallowed and chirped, "Oh, and Todd?"

I turned around and gave her a look to tell her to go ahead.

She rubbed the back of her head. "The help I got for you is good, but they're not all people you know. Some of them have no real idea what they're doing here, and a few in particular can be kind of...hostile."

"Got it." I assured the Pokemon. "I'll try to get back before they all kill each other."

---

As it turned out, I was almost too late.