Chapter 1

Twelve-year-old Momo

Momo's pov

I was reading in my bedroom when I started to hear screaming coming from downstairs. I quickly ran out of my room and went straight downstairs. The first thing I saw was my parents lying emotionlessly on the floor, my eyes filled with tears until I heard an evil chuckle behind me, making my body tense up. I turned around only to see a crazed-looking man. What scared me was his eyes; his eyes were bloodshot red with a hungry look in his eye.

"You look, tasty little girl." He said with a smile on his face

My body started shaking in fear, and my throat started to close. I quickly started running towards the front door, hearing footsteps coming after me while laughing like a maniac, making me run as fast as I can. Before I knew it, I felt the pain go through my back, making me scream bloody murder. I fell to the ground hearing the man walk over to me. Tears started rolling down my face, and I started coughing with my mouth closed. Different emotions were going through me: sadness, fear, shock, and denial—Mommy, Daddy, maybe even our dog Penny. Everyone I know is gone, leaving me alone in this terrible world. The man grabbed my arm while chuckling, bringing my arm to his lips. My eyes widened when I saw his mouth open. Fangs. One thought went through my mind at that moment.

"Vampire." I thought

I heard the front door slam open and two gunshots before all I saw was dust. Two men walked over to me; all I remember was a blonde man in glasses before everything turned black.

*Mini Time Skip*

I woke up in a hospital bed. I saw a man with a long ponytail: glasses, a long tan coat, and a sword on his back.

"I see you finally woke up." He pointed out with a smile, "How are you feeling?"

I shrugged.

"I-Is my Mommy and Daddy here?" I questioned

He looked at me sadly.

"No, I'm sorry." He apologized, "What is your name?"

I hesitated for a second before saying-

"Momo, Momo Sakume," I said softly, "What is your name, sir?"

"I am Kaien Cross." He said with a smile, "Would you like to come home with me?"

"I-I want my Mommy and D-Daddy." I whimpered with tears rolling down my face, "Can you bring them back?"

He sighed. He walked over to my hospital bed and sat down on the edge of it, and he touched my leg, making me cringe. He gave me a soft smile before putting his hand in his lap.

"honey, I'm sorry. That's not how life works, I'm afraid." He sympathized before giving me a kind smile, "But I would love it if you would come live with me. I have a daughter that you would get along with and a boy that is just like you."

I thought about it. I don't have anybody in my family that would let me move in. Everyone in my family hated my parents after they refused to follow the family religion.

"Okay." I agreed while nodding

"I will tell the nurse that you are awake, then I will sign you out." He said with a smile

I nodded while he got off the bed. He walked out of my room, leaving me alone in my thoughts. He doesn't look like a man that would have a family. He looked like a man that concentrates more on his work. I was snapped out of my thoughts when the door open to reveal, Kaien.

"The nurse got you some clothes." He explained, "I hope they fit."

I got up and immediately cringed in pain. Kaien walked over to me and helped me walk to the bathroom. He put my clothes on the counter and walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind him. I took off my hospital gown only to see bandages. I shivered and quickly put my clothes on. I got dressed in blue pants, a grey long sleeve shirt, and tennis shoes. I limped out of the bathroom only to see a doctor giving, Kaien medicine. Kaien looked at me with pity in his eyes.

"The doctor explained to me that you have an illness that makes you cough up blood." Kaien explained, "So, he gave me some medicine that will help control it."

"O-Ok," I said quietly.

We walked out of my hospital room and went straight towards the elevator. Kaien clicked on the button that has a one on it. When the doors opened, we walked out of the elevator and straight out of the hospital. Kaien grabbed a cab, and off we went to his home. I sat in the back while Kaien sat up front, telling the man where he lived. I guess I was still tired because I laid down in the backseat and immediately fell asleep.

*Mini Time Skip*

I was woken up by someone lightly shaking me awake. My eyes shot up, and I shot up. I saw that it was just, Kaien. I sighed before getting out of the cab, and I just stared at the house. I was scared to meet, Kaien's family. I have always been homeschooled, and I wasn't good at talking to other people. Kaien opened the door to reveal a silvered hair boy and a brown-haired girl. They looked at Kaien before looking at me. I hid behind Kaien's leg while I stared at them with fear in my eyes. Kaien put his hand behind my head and lightly guided me in front of him.

"Zero, Yuki, this is Momo." He introduced, "A bad vampire attacked her family."

I lowered my head with tears in my eyes.

Zero's pov

When Kaien told us what happened to her family, she lowered her head. I felt pity and relief. Relief because I'm not the only one that lost my family from those bloodthirsty freaks and empathy because I know how she feels. Setting my book on the couch, I walk over to, Kaien and Momo. I stopped in front of her ignoring the shocked looks that Yuki and Kaien are giving me. Momo looked at me with tears in her eyes. She looked: shocked, scared, and confused.

My eyes softened when I looked at her before saying gently, "I know how you feel. My parents were killed by a bad vampire as well."

Tears rolled down her cheeks before she immediately hugged me. I hugged her back, resting my head on her shoulder. I felt her tears hit my chest, making me hug her tighter. I was never like this with Yuki because she loved vampires, and I don't have this protective feeling for her as I do with Momo.

"I got you, Momo." I thought