i «

i. //

"What are you doing?"

"Reading."

"I can see that. Reading what?"

"A book."

"A book about what?"

"A boy."

"What's the boy doing?"

"Running."

"To where?"

"Nowhere in particular."

"Nowhere?"

"Nowhere."

-----

nowhere [ˈʊwɛː/ ] adverb

1.

not in or to any place; not anywhere.

-----

"I've never seen you around here before." A small voice says from behind me. I place my half empty coffee mug down on the old table I sit at, and look behind me. The voice belongs to a young girl, with long blonde hair styled into two pigtails, with pink ribbons adorning each. Her eyes are large and seeking knowledge of any sort. She looks around seven years old, maybe younger.

"That's because I've just moved here." I reply with a smile. I've always loved children.

"Why?" The young girl asks, placing herself into the seat across from my own. Her chin only barely higher than the table ledge. She looks at me intently.

"Annie!?" Someone says loudly from the other side of the coffee shop, as soon as I'm about to answer the small girl in front of me.

"There you are! I've been looking all over the place for you! I told you to wait at the table while I ordered your hot chocolate! I'll never let you out of my sight again!" The woman, who I am guessing is her mother, laughed. She turned to me with a sorry smile and led her daughter, Annie, away.

I turn back to my newspaper for a few seconds before I get a new visitor at my table. This time in the form of an adult.

"Hello! I overheard you talking to that girl. I heard you've just moved here. What's your name?" She enquires, fixing her blonde hair over her forehead.

"I'm uh, E- Emma. Emma Rutherford." I stutter. The girl is beautiful.

She extends her hand for me to shake. A smirk graces her face

"I'm Ellie. Ellie Goulding."