Chapter 7

I'm going to get a zero. I just know it. Why would they give me anything higher? I shot an arrow at them. Well actually not them, it was their pig, but still. I wonder if they can arrest tributes. Because I'm probably going to jail. Either that or they're going to make sure my life is a living nightmare in the arena. I wonder what Peeta did for his private session. Not that I should care. He dumped me after all. I just can't help but be curious. Then I heard someone knocking on my door. "What do you want?" I asked harshly.

"It's time for dinner and then the scores are revealed." I hear the voice of Peeta and then the door handle jiggle. Then he walks over to my bed and sits beside me. "I'm guessing the private session didn't go well?"

"What do you think?" I growl. I still haven't forgiven him and I honestly don't want to talk to him right now.

"Why are you being so mean to me?" he asks looking heartbroken.

"Why am I being mean?" I ask and he nods his head. "Why am I being mean?" I say to myself more than him this time. "I'm being mean because you just broke up with me when we are going to have to be killed at the end of the week. I understand where you were coming from when you did it but all I wanted to do was spend my last couple of days with you." I can't stop the tears pouring from my eyes. God how many times have I cried since the reaping?

"I'm really sor-"

But before he can finish I cut him off. "Just leave please. I'll be at dinner in 5 minutes."

"Okay. I'm still in love with you Katniss." he says.

"Just leave!" I shout. I didn't mean to yell but I couldn't help it. I didn't want to hear his excuses. Then he slowly leaves the room.

After 5 minutes I went to dinner as I promised and everyone had already started eating. I sit down in between Effie and Haymitch and across from Peeta. Somebody puts a plate in front of me. I don't have much of an appetite after all that crying. Nobody really speaks at dinner except for when Peeta tries to start a conversation with Effie and when they try to add me in I don't say anything, just shrug or nod.

Soon everyone is gathered around the tv and the program for the scores is about to start. Like always, they start from district 1 and then make their way up to 12. First they show a picture of the tribute and then their score flashes. The tributes from 1 and 2 all get scores in an 8-10 range, which doesn't surprise me because that's what the careers usually get. districts 3-10 aren't as good though. They were lucky if they could get a 5 or 6. Now they are getting closer to district 12. The little girl from 11 somehow managed to get a 7 and her district partner got a 10. District 12. First they show Peeta, and he mustered up an 8. A few applauds are heard as Peeta gets an approving slap on the back and then it's my turn. I can hear my heart beating fast through my ears and I feel as if I will throw up any moment. "Katniss Everdeen." The host Caesar Flickerman says and looks down at the paper in front of him. He has a look of disappointment in his face. Uh oh. That just confirms that I do have a really low score. "With a score of..." he pauses for dramatic effect. Can't he just get on with it?! "An 11." he says showing his bright white teeth as he smiles. My jaw drops to the floor and everyone stares at me.

"Why did they give me an 11? I thought they hated me." I ask in disbelief.

"They must have liked your attitude." Haymitch shrugs. Then you can hear lots of hoots and hollers thrown around the room.

Cinna raises his glass and says, "To Katniss Everdeen. The girl on fire!"

"Good job Katniss." Peeta says and then walks off before I could say thank you.

Late the next day

Tonight is the night of the interviews. All day I have been with Effie so she could teach me how to be proper but the worst part was having to walk in the killer 4 inch heels. It didn't work out very well so I hope I don't have to wear them tonight. I also had to spend time with Haymitch so we could work out my angle. I was too hostile and too boring for anything particular. So Haymitch just told me to not be as rude, and compliment the Capitol a lot. Apparently that will help me get sponsors but I don't know. I don't think I'll get any. Now I'm in my room with Cinna waiting until we can line up for the interviews. I have my dress on and it's really beautiful. It's red and it has sparkles all over it. My hair is done up in an intricate bun and I have minimal make up on. "I don't know how to get people to like me. How do you get people to like you?" I ask Cinna.