27 Michelle

Her dream urged her to do the same thing for Hank as he did for her.

He flew just ahead of her. The sun glowed on his black scales. Summer had come and he wanted to show her a surprise. Hawk would meet them later, he said.

Suddenly, clouds surrounded them and then something whizzed passed her. She called out, but Hank continued to fly on, oblivious of what was happening.

“Hank watch out!” she called.

He halted so that he could turn to look at her. That’s when it happened. That’s when something whizzed passed her and straight at him. It flew straight through him, ripping his human heart in two.

An evil laugh echoed from all over. He was everywhere at once.

Hank fell. He just fell from the sky, dropping lower and closer to the rocks below them.
That’s when he pressed deeper into her.

That laugh still echoed through her mind, but when she looked around, Hank’s kind, hazel eyes stared down at her. She melted against him, relieved to see him alive.

His orders made her so heated that she did what he said without questioning him.

Hawk’s words came back to her then. She did not think that he would allow it, but his heart beat faster and his breathing stuttered when she said she wanted to mark him.

And then as he found his release, it all happened so quickly. Her dragon heart swelled and she filled with his love. She found her own release and then her own heart-fire seeped into him, binding them completely.

“No! What did you do?” he shouted.

Hawk rushed in and she clung to Hank, hiding her nudity away from his eyes.

“I don’t know. I wanted to share my own fire with you, but I didn’t know how. It just happened.”

“Oh, love. You shouldn’t have done that. What if something happens to me. My work is so dangerous. You said so yourself.”

“Dad, it doesn’t work that way anymore. If you get hurt, Mom will know, but her fire will keep you alive. Mom saw your death,” Hawk said.

Hank stilled and pulled her away from him. “Is that true?”

Tears leaked out of her eyes before she could hide them. “It was just a dream.”

“That was not a dream, my love. You seemed to have inherited my mother’s ability to see the future. That is strange, but it has happened in the past. Mates getting powers of their partner’s parents. None of us have that ability. She blessed you with her powers.”

Michelle grabbed the blanket and wrapped it around herself.

“I think that is pointless. I’ve seen you-“

“Your uncles are on their way up,” she said, cutting Hawk off. “Not that I want to expose myself to you either.”

Xander came to sit on the edge of the bed, facing away from her.

“I owe you an apology. I said-“

“I would have said the same thing if you blurted out that you killed a man, without explaining why.”

“Self defence,” Hank said.

“Self defence. It was him or me. I had to protect myself,” she said, repeating the mantra to reassure herself again. “I did it in self defence.”

“Exactly. And I’m going to keep reminding you until you really believe it yourself.”

“I’ll get there. Eventually.” She sniffed the air and looked back over her shoulder. “You guys finished the food yet?”