zero | prologue

WE JUST finished up on stage. I took a small breath from all the singing and moving around I just did. It was a lot of work—but fun, nonetheless. We put on about an hour minute show, which is longer than usual for us.
The owner of this bar promised us extra pay if we would play a longer.  We all needed a little bit of cash, anyways. So, none of us really minded.

It was me, Eric, Melissa, and Patty. The four of us are very close, for many reasons.

I pulled my bass off of my body, before walking off the stage beside of Eric.

Usually being able to pour your soul out into a song would fill a person with some sort of zen—but it was different for me. Most of the lyrics come from me, or Eric. Our songs are confusing to most but to us they mean a lot. I've dug deep into my thought process for a lot of these songs.

The poignant vibes people receive from our music are more than necessary.

Melissa, with her long curly hair, almost perfectly framing her face, walked over to me. I've always admired her. Ever since I met her.

She, too, plays bass. Eric's on guitar. And Patty is behind the drums.

She pulled me into a bone crushing hug. "That was great." She mumbled. I simply nodded my head.

"Yeah."

The vibes between the four of us were rather dry. Not that any of us had any issues with one another, it's just, usually after a show we're all kind of bummed. Tired. It's like a routine, really.

We go out and act like lunatics on stage, but we're all fighting our demons the entire time.

It's hard to maintain that sometimes on stage.

That night really felt like it was nothing special. It felt like every other night we play at a stupid shady bar.

But, this night truly changed everything for me.