Chapter 2

Kirstie's POV

"Kirstie get ready now! The car is waiting!" My Mom shouted from downstairs.

Today we planned on auditioning for the Selection. Wow so fun.

Mom wanted me to look feminine and sweet so she took out my flowy blue dress with my denim button up to cover my shoulders.

My mom told me to put on the gold necklace she got me on my fourteenth birthday, but the one Avi gave to me caught much more attention to me.

I pick it up from my jewelry box, admiring its beauty. It was made of steel and was slightly rugged in some parts. It was a sliver g clef necklace that Avi made from his own hands.

It wasn't perfect, but the amount of effort and passion he put into it made it seem even more beautiful in my eyes.

"Kirstin!"

I roll my eyes before quickly clasping it on and running down the stairs. "I'm heading down already!"

~

My Mom and I thought of going early so there wasn't much of a line, so when we got there, we still saw a lot of people, from Eights to One's, everything, and everyone was there. When I got out of the car, many people started to look at me and whisper Three.

Three's dear reader, are rich, but not all of them are known throughout Chordonia. But two's, ALL of them are stars. Models, Painters, Sculptors, Actresses/Actors, Authors, and other well-paying jobs. but these jobs could only be afforded by affluent people, which are still the Twos.

"Walk with confidence dear, we want to show the world what you're capable of," Mom whispered in my ear. I don't really get it how much this means to her and Dad. I mean, the people who'll pick the selected won't even double check if I actually auditioned.

We wait in line and meet my relatives here and there. I try to act as if I'm just as in love with the two princes as they are, and it seemed to work.

They were Fives since my parents sold our sister, we became a lot richer.

I saw a two, her name's Kayla Holmes, she's a teenage actress from a television show my parents watch. She's twenty, and I'm eighteen, so yeah, hi.

my Mom submitted my form, dragging me wherever she goes. "Lady Cathaway, please come with us for your picture." a guard asked, and I nod.

When they took a picture of me, I remembered Avi. His smile, how his low voice makes every girl die, and his hugs.

So I looked happy, and in love in the photoshoot. I had the energy to smile, and look great. I did a few cute poses, then they told me to do a seductive photo, so I put on the sexiest face I could do.

But pfft, that was probably a fail.

"Thank you Lady Cathaway, you may go now." The photographer says and someone guides me outside the studio. I see Mom scrolling through her phone. "Hey dear, did you put on a pretty face?" Mom asks, putting her phone in her pocket. "Yep, they even asked me to put on a sexy face."

"Are you sure you didn't fail?" Mom asks, trying to hold in her giggle.

"I don't know Mom, maybe." I laugh a bit and she does the same. These are the times when Mom and I go along well, I wish we were always like this, even with her greediness, she has this nice side of her that Mitch and I barely see.

"We have to go to the mall dear, Cass' son, Carter, is having his 3rd birthday party. We have to find ourselves pretty formal dresses!" Mom shouts excitedly. I'm excited too, duh, just not as excited for mom to insist on buying me a short, body-hugging dress to attract other Twos.

And I was right, Mom bought me a strapless black dress, it had a sweetheart neckline, ruffled bottom, and a pink felt ribbon about above my waist. It was beautiful but just isn't me. But hey, wouldn't want Mom to turn back into her true self, right?

We ate at an Italian restaurant, which is a family favorite. Then head home, with two bags of clothes each person. 

My phone rang, the voice of Sara Bareilles echoing through the car.

"Hello?"

"Kirst."

"Avi, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I just want to ask you something."

"Um, sure!"

"Are you thinking about what happened 3 days ago?"

"Avi, we can't talk about this now, I'm with my Mom." I eye Mom, and she just looks disappointed.

"Oh, okay. Love you."

"Me too Cheeseburger."

I put down my phone, putting it back in my purse.

"So you told him?" Mom asks, unusually looking concerned. 

"I did. I'm sorry Mom, I just wanted him to know. Maybe I get picked then I'd have to leave him without a goodbye." I look at Mom, whose eyes were filled with disappointment.

"Dear, your father and I know you love that Avi boy, but you don't know what's going to happen or what's in store for you when you become a Six." Mom holds my hand and squeezes it.

"Mom, I know what will happen to me when I become one of them. But all I know is that I love Avi, and I'll do anything for him. You guys know that." I whisper, only loud enough to be heard by Mom.

"We're just trying to make a better future for you dear. Now, we're here. Let's bring this to the maids?" Mom goes out of the car, waiting for me to do the same.

They understand? 

~

(EDITED: 2016)

Did a little bit of rephrasing here and there. But I didn't want to take away what was already written seeing as you all like that :)

-Tavi <3