friends

DAY TWO

cassandra | leo

Ugh. School. Cassandra thought to herself as she pushed through the double doors of said hated high school.

It wasn't the actual learning part that she hated. It was the people who attended the school that she hated. 

She opened her locker, having to jiggle around the handle due to its poor condition.

People milled around, laughing and gossiping. She couldn't relate. For some reason, she was always friendless. 

A few years ago, people were friendly. They used to smile when they met her in the hallway and excuse themselves if they accidentally bumped into each other. But they weren't friendly enough to sit with her at lunch or invite her to their house. And that was OK with her.

Everything changed when her dad died, though.

Her dad was her best friend. She never felt lonely because her dad was always there for her. When he was gone, she never felt so isolated.

As her home life spiraled into chaos, so did her social life. Rumors spread about she and her mom slipping into poverty and people ate that up. They'd make fun of her and tease her. At first she used to fight back, but eventually she just gave up and stayed quiet. She knew that what they said didn't actually mean anything - it was in one ear and out the other. But sometimes it was hard to ignore them.

The first bell rang, signaling that class started in five minutes. Cassandra grabbed her algebra materials before heading off towards class, yawing the entire way. 

⚫⚫⚫

9:50 AM

hey. what's up?

... cassandra?

oh, i'm sorry. i was in class. 

whoops. sorry about that. 

it's fine. i'd do anything to get out of school.

that bad?

oh, you have no idea.

anyways, how are you feeling? any better than yesterday?

so much better. thanks for asking. 

hey, can i ask for your phone number? i feel like that's much easier than using this pm system.

yeah. agreed.

Cassandra then scratched her head, wondering if it was safe to just give her personal contact information on some public chat.

Screw it, she thought to herself. If someone were to stalk me and kill me, let them. I'm fine with that.

207-469-8762 is my number. 

hey, you live in maine?

yeah.

so do i!

oh wow, what a coincidence!

She gets a text directly to her phone and closes the chat to open her messages.