Your Monster

(Y/N) = Your Name; (E/C) = Eye Color

—————–

"Remus! Remus please come out!"
Your fist pounds on the bathroom door, in hopes that they'll break through some how.
"No..." You hear come through the door, but just barely. "Just.....stay away from me..."
"Remus....please unlock the door."
You stop pounding, and lean your face against the door separating you and your boyfriend. You felt horrible. This felt like it was completely and one hundred percent your fault, and you hated being the cause of Remus's misery.

It all started because you invited him to stay over at your house for Halloween.
You thought it would be a perfect time for Remus to meet your parents, and it would give you company during your parents' mini Halloween party with their coworkers.
He had accepted, of course, because he loved spending time with you, but asked you to continue keeping his...er...furry little problem a secret for now.

—————–

"Yeah of course, Moony. We can tell them together when you're ready." You had said with a smile.
You knew how he felt about his being a werewolf, and you knew how most people thought of werewolves in general. You were sure that your parents would still adore him regardless, but it took Remus awhile even to tell you and you had been best friends for a few years before he did. You didn't want to rush him into telling people who he'd never even met before.
"Thanks (Y/N)." He smiled sheepishly, "You really are the best girlfriend anyone could ask for."
"Well I can't argue with that!" You laugh and he pulls you into a hug.
"What will we be doing, anyhow?"
"Oh we'll probably watch movies. Eat. Carve pumpkins. Eat. Ya know, fun stuff!"
"Can't wait!"

Famous last words.

Remus was the first of your house guests to arrive, and he was very nervous. Your dad was the one who had opened the door to greet him first with a sweaty handshake. Your boyfriend cared A LOT about how your parents saw him and you could tell by the look on his face he felt that he was already failing to make a good impression.
"Dad! You're embarrassing him!" You shove past your dad to stand between him and Remus.
"How are you doing?" You ask, lacing your fingers with his to calm him a bit.
He looked down into your (E/C) eyes and you could see the tension escape almost immediately.
"Y-yeah I'm alright!" Remus sighs out and smiles, allowing you to lead him into your house to officially meet your mom and dad.

"Mum. Dad. This is Remus!" You say, holding your free hand out as if presenting him on a silver platter. Remus smiles shyly and waves his hand, not sure what to say.
"Oh yes! We've heard so much about you from (Y/N)!" Your mom said, moving toward him then giving him a hug. At first could see Remus tense up, but soon after he let his muscles relax and hugged your mom back.
"All good things I hope?" Remus awkwardly laughed out, hoping he didn't accidentally make a fool of himself.
"Well of course all good things!" Your dad called out before walking over to the two of you, clapping a hand onto Remus's back. "From what (Y/N) has told us, you are quite a winning creature!" Your dad finished with a smile, but Remus flinched a little at the word "creature". You squeezed his hand a bit to reassure him, and for added measure, kissed his shoulder to remind him that you still loved him, "creature" and all.
"Well don't be nervous," your dad chuckled, "make yourself at home!"

Shortly after Remus's arrival, your parents' friends showed up, giving you some alone time with him.
"Remus, I'm sure they like you! If they didn't, it would be VERY obvious." You look into his worried green eyes then stand on your toes to kiss his nose.
"Yeah but....are you sure I didn't make a fool of myself?"
"I'm absolutely sure! Look they are even talking about you to their friends and they're smiling!"
"How do you know they aren't laughing at me?"
"Remus...I'm sure they aren't...anytime I talk about you they always get excited. They wanted to meet you very badly!"
You walk Remus over to the sofa in the living room and sit down next to him. He really truly didn't have anything to worry about, but maybe some cuddles would help him mellow out. You wrapped your arms around his waist and rested your head against his shoulder. Remus followed your lead and put his arm around your waist and rested his head on yours.
"Your parents do seem very cool." You hear Remus say, making you smile, "I'm glad you invited me here."

"Hey everyone! Let's watch a movie!" Your dad calls out, alerting you and Remus that people would soon be entering the living room. You sat up straight next to Remus and motioned him to scoot closer to the arm so you could make more room for your parents to sit next to you, but assured him you would still be very close. He was very much okay with this.
"So dad, what movie are we going to watch?" You ask after you and Remus got squished into the edge of the sofa.
"One of our old favorites! Frankenstein!" Your dad answers, pressing play on the remote.
Your heart skips a beat and you shot a quick look at your boyfriend who didn't know what was to come from the movie. You decided, however, to not say anything. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe he wouldn't mind it. Frankenstein's monster wasn't a werewolf after all, certainly Remus wouldn't feel too uncomfortable, right? Wrong.
Remus sat, squirmed, and flinched as he watched and each time he did tense up, you squeezed and rubbed your thumb against his hand, trying to calm him. He made it through half of the movie before it became too much.
"I-I uhm.....I need to..." Remus said shakily, standing up, then running up the stairs into the bathroom. Your heart sank. You should have suggested something else to watch, but no. You just let him suffer through it.
Everyone was now either looking at you or looking up the stairs towards Remus, and they all carried worried looks on their faces.
"(Y/N)? Is....is he okay?" You dad asked, getting ready to get out of his seat to try and help.
"No....no dad he isn't okay." You lower your head and let out a sigh.
"I'll be back. I need to check on him."
"Well just holler if you need us." Your dad called out as you ran up the stairs yourself, towards the locked bathroom door.

—————–

And that is how we got here. You leaning up against the door, with Remus inside doing Merlin knows what.
"Remus...Remus please they just didn't know. I'm....I'm so sorry. I should have suggested a different movie, I just.." you let your words drop off, not really knowing what to say next. You just thought it wouldn't bother him watching a movie about a monster that frightens and terrorizes everyone? Yeah that sounds really swell.
While you searched for words though, the door creaked open, revealing Remus's tear-stained face.
"(Y/N)?" He whispered out, "I'm.....I'm a monster. Just like that one in the movie. I can't ever tell your parents about me. They'd never like me....and they'd want you to stay away from me for good." Remus started to cry silent tears again as he looked down at his feet.
"Maybe I should.....maybe I should just stay away from you for good. Nobody wants a monster for a boyfriend..."
Your eyes began to well up and your heart sank. You threw your arms around Remus and shoved your face into his chest, making his shirt wet with tears.
"No Remus. You aren't a monster. You are sweet and loving and smart and funny and I love you. You are anything but a monster!" You say in one sobbing breath, "And even if you were a monster, you'd be my monster and I'd still never leave. You'd be (Y/N)'s Monster, and I'd protect you from everyone else. But you aren't a monster, you got that?" You tear your face away from his chest to look up into Remus's red, puffy eyes. A single tear falls down his splotchy face, but nonetheless, he gives you a little smile then bends down, giving you a wet, salty kiss.

"Th-thank you, (Y/N)." He pulled away just enough to speak, "Do you...do you think they're wondering where we are?"
"Yeah they probably are," you say, "and they'll probably want to know what's wrong. What would you like me to tell them?" You tilt your head, waiting from his response. You don't want to make the situation worse by embarrassing him by saying he just got overemotional or something.
"Well.....maybe we should just, ya know, tell them now..."
You were shocked, but slightly relieved.
"Remus....are you sure? You don't have to if you're not-"
"No, I think they should know...and even if they think I'm a monster, I'm your monster, right? (Y/N)'s Monster. They'll have to deal with me one way or the other!" Remus gave you a scared smile, searching your face for reassurance.
You smiled back then stood on your toes, giving him another kiss.
"Of course, love. You'll be mine forever, no matter what they say!"
"You'll....you'll help me thought, right? I don't think I could tell them all myself."
You giggle a little at your boyfriend, "Of course I will silly! What else am I here for?"
"Good...now...let's get this over with, shall we?" Remus says shakily as you squeeze his hand and lead him back into the living room.

"Mum. Dad." You start, as you move into the room, still holding Remus's hand.
"Yes (Y/N)? Remus? Is everything alright?" Your mom asks, sharing worried glances between your dad. All their friends were congregated in the kitchen, laughing and talking noisily, much to your relief.
"Remus has something he'd like to tell you." You say, then look up at the wide green eyes of your boyfriend. You can feel his heartbeat in his wrist getting faster and harder.
After a few moments of silence, Remus finally spoke in a broken, hushed tone:
"I....I'm a werewolf."