03. the hogwarts express

     "I PROMISE I'LL TRY TO WRITE EVERY DAY," Harper promised Remus and Dorcas, as the three of them stood on platform nine and three quarters

"Every day?" Remus repeated, raising an eyebrow. "That's ambitious."

"You know me, Moony," Harper said, grinning. "Go big or go home, right?"

Dorcas sighed. "If only you weren't so much like James . . ."

Harper could tell Dorcas actually didn't mind, though. Her godmother had loved her parents very dearly—as did Remus. She just knew they couldn't technically tell her to cause some trouble while she was at Hogwarts, but she was sure to tell them all about it.

Harper smiled—sadness filling her heart. She had never been away from home for every long before. "I'll miss you."

"We'll miss you, too, munckin," Remus said, brushing a straw of red hair out of her eyes. "But you go and have fun."

"And we're only one letter away," Dorcas added, pulling Harper in for a tight hug.

Harper smiled and hugged her back. Then she pulled back and picked her trunk and Dale's cage up. "I'll see you at Christmas."

After a goodbye smile, Harper followed Ron, who had been patiently waiting for her, onto the Hogwarts Express and the two of them proceeded to find an empty compartment.

"There doesn't seem to be an empty compartment," Ron said, as they passed compartment after compartment. "Oh, look, this one only contains one boy."

"This is our best shot," Harper agreed, nodding.

Ron pushed the door open and stuck his head in. "Excuse me, but could my friend and I sit here? Everywhere else is full."

The boy turned around and smiled, his emeral green eyes shining brightly. "Of course!"

Harper entered the compartment after Ron and put her trunk away before placing Dale's cage next to her on the couch. She then sat down and looked at the boy.