04. the sorting hat

     THE DOOR SWUNG OPEN AT ONCE

     THE DOOR SWUNG OPEN AT ONCE. A tall, black-haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there. She had a very stern face and Harper immediately recognized her as Minerva McGonagall. Remus and Dorcas had told her about the elder witch—both of them were very fond of her.

"The first-years, Professor McGonagall," Hagrid said.

"Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here."

She pulled the door wide. The Entrance Hall was gigantic. The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones at Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing them led to the upper floors.

They followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. Harper could hear the drone of hundreds of voices from a doorway to the right—the rest of the school must already be there—but Professor McGonagall showed them into a small empty chamber off the hall. They crowded in, standing rather closer together then they would usually have done, peering about nervously.

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall said. "The start-of-term banquet will begin shortly, but before you take your seats in the Great Hall, you will be sorted into your houses. The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.

"The four houses are called Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Each hide has its own noble history and each has produced outstanding witches and wizards. While you're at Hogwarts, your triumphs will earn your house points, while any rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the House Cup, a great honor. I hope each of you will be a credit to whichever house becomes you.

"The Sorting Ceremony will take place in a few minutes in front of the rest of the school. I suggest you all smarten yourselves up as much as you can while you are waiting."