Chapter 3: Dancing Through Life

Natalia Summers - Bard, Dancer, Musician, Singer

20 years prior to launch

"Hey," Natalia exclaimed.

She hadn't been watching where she was walking and looked up just in time to see someone loom in front of her. Her books flew everyone-

"Natalia, S-s-sorry," she heard Aaron say.

She jerked her head up and looked at Aaron, say something about last night, she urged herself.

"You played great last night," she said.

Aaron looked uncomfortable, and he glanced away to pick up her textbooks. He handed her books back and opened his mouth to say something-

Please ask me to homecoming, she thought.

"R-r-ring," the school bell chimed.

She watched Aaron glance at the speaker in the hall and emotion swept over his features. It looked like frustration or anger. She didn't wait around and instead hurried away to her next class.

Is he mad at me? Did I say something wrong?

Throughout the rest of class, all she could think about was Aaron's face when the bell rang. It seemed like he wanted to tell her something and then the bell interrupted. She wanted Aaron to ask her to homecoming so bad and wished she could will it to happen.

I know, I know... it's not a real homecoming, she chided herself.

It wasn't the same thing as a high school homecoming. Normally, a nearby high school in the district would allow junior high students to join their homecoming, but Thomas Heights was in its own district. To celebrate the end of junior high, the school threw their own version. That day was right around the corner and Aaron still hadn't asked her. Maybe they could talk more at Tristen's on Saturday.

"Dungeon Quest...," whispered Natalia.

She couldn't wait until the weekend to play. It was the only time she dropped her carefully constructed facade. Yes, the quiet personality and meek demeanor was not her true self. When not playing Dungeon Quest, the only other times she could be herself was at home or during her music and ballet lessons

She loved to sing, dance, and play music and those passions always inspired the characters she created. A songstress or bard was her preferred class type. Only her family, closest friends, and teachers knew about her passion for the arts. Part of the reason for the secrecy was she feared performing in front of an audience. She kept it a secret and stayed away from school programs.

Her current plan involved participation in high school programs and eventually college. It was her dream to one day dance on broadway. It seemed like such a scary prospect when she considered her irrational fear of public performances. Her parents suggested she get involved in some school drama programs in high school next year.

It scared her to death, but that was the current goal. She planned to start small with a small role in a school production or as an extra. She thought it would be okay to dance in front of other people, but singing was out of the question until she overcame the fear. Fear or not, it was her dream and no matter how long it took, she would push toward her goals.

Natalia's mother picked her up from school and dropped her at the Thomas Heights School of Arts. She recognized a few others kids from her school in the group classes, but she had private lessons for violin, piano and voice. Ballet lessons were semi-private. She had group exercises, but for some more advanced techniques, she had a private tutor.