Chapter 5

Katniss

I kneel behind the queen, respectfully following her lead in prayers. I keep my eyes low and hold tight to the beautiful rosary that had been slipped under my door with a note from my prince, asking me to pray on his success in convincing his father to allow him to marry me. I know there be little hope, but while I do not know if I have romantic love for Peeta, I do keep him in my prayers each morning and night.

I hold the beads close to my chest as I stand and the Queen leads me and the rest of the ladies from the chapel. She stops suddenly and we all hault

"You may go ahead," the queen says. "I intend to stop by the garden so you should all take back your prayers to your chambers and join me in 15 minutes."

"Yes, Your Majesty," we all reply and as I begin to walk with the others she stops me.

"Lady Katniss, you will remain with me," she ssays and I stop and come back to her side as she begins to walk to the doors of her garden. "You have a new rosary." She gestures to the red beads in my hand.

"Yes, Your Majesty," I say. "A gift from an admirer."

"Surely my son is not just a simple admirer?" She says and I look down.

"No, he is not," I say. "I wish he would stop giving me so many gifts. People may begin taking me for a theif of Your Majesty's many lovely jewels."

"His Grace is determined to impress you," the queen says. "But you are a clever girl. You do not fancy jewels and presents. You want an intellectual." I look over at her and see a smile playing on her lips.

"You do not disapprove as I had assumed you would, Your Majesty?" I say. She shakes her head.

"I am the King's third wife, Lady Everdeen," she says. "It took him two wifes to find someone who suited him. Two young ladies lost their lives in the process. One in her childbed, the other by a executioner's blade because she was just a pretty little fool who liked pretty things. If my son has found in you someone he cares for as His Majesty cares for me without the unnecessary bloodshed, I would be glad for it."

"My Lady, I am of little money and stature," I say and she chuckles.

"I know who you are, Lady Everdeen," she says. "Your mother served with me in the French Court. I met your father a couple times as well, God rest his soul. I can tell you right now, if your parents never fell on hard times, I have no doubt Edward would not hesitate to bless this union." I look at her again and she takes my hand and squeezes it.

"Your Majesty, I do not yet know my feelings for the prince," I say. "I feel confused and unable to know if his efforts with his father would be worth the trouble. I enjoy his company, but I don't know if he knows if he really loves me or just admires me for my talents."

"You recieve his letters," the queen says. "You tell me." I look down at my toes.

"His Grace has requested that I join him at his house in York for the fall festival," I admit and she nods.

"You have my permission to leave my service and join him when he leaves court for York," she says. "It may allow you some clarity if you would be able to not worry about prying eyes." She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a small purse and hands it to me. "Send these 15 pounds to your mother with my good will." A tear runs down my cheek as I take her generous gift.

"You are too good to me, Your Majesty," I say. And she nods.

"You deserve every gift and grace Prince Peeta offers you, dear girl," she says as she stops us in front of a door. She raps it sharply three times and Peeta opens the door, shocking me. "I have no need for your service until after lunch, Lady Everdeen. I shall see you then." She turns to her son and he kisses his cheek. "Be good to her, Dear Child." Peeta bows to her.