Chapter 19

Cassie’s house was a large two story, white house with a gravel driveway along the side. Several steps made of brick led up to the white front door. The lights were on in the front room. I stared hesitantly at the ancient house from my mom’s car.

    “Well, go on.” My mom said pleasantly.

    I looked over at her. She was seriously just going to leave me on some random people’s door step? “Do I have to?”

    “Yes, you asked her out, now go.” My mom said.

    I got out of my mom’s car. After slamming the door shut, I slowly began to walk up the brick steps to the front door. I noticed the grass along the side of the steps. It was like having an elevated front yard. Just looking at the house, I could see how old it was. It seemed odd compared to my house that had just been built within the last twenty or thirty years and had been repainted and redone several times between then and now.

    When I reached the front door, my mother drove off. Slightly irritated, I opened the screen door and then knocked on the big front door. At first all I heard was a dog loudly barks, then I heard the girlish voiced of Cassie, and I think Brittany and Dana.

    Cassie opened the door. She had on a bright pink, strapless homecoming dress with shiny diamond studs all around the bottom of it. The dress came down just a little above her knees. Her hair draped over her bare shoulders and a part of her hair was braided over the side and pinned with shiny bobby pins.  It almost didn’t look like Cassie.

    A black dog that wasn’t quite small but wasn’t quite medium sized either pushed his way around Cassie. He scurried out the door and then circled around me. The dog barked repeatedly at me as though I were a stranger breaking into the house.

    “Hey there doggie.” I said as I rubbed the dogs head when it jumped up against my leg.

    “Leo, get in here.” Cassie commanded the dog.

    The dog continued to run in circles around me. Each time I tried to direct him into the house, he ran the opposite way. He circled around me in a hyper manner, all the while Cassie tried to call him in. Finally when I stepped inside the front door, the dog followed me in.

    After I was inside the house, the dog calmed down. He ran into the living room where Dana and Brittany were.

    “Sorry about Leo. He’s always very hyper.” Cassie apologized for the dog.

    “No big deal.” I smiled. Was it bad to say that the dog’s excitement put me in mind of Cassie?

    Cassie led me to the living room. We turned the corner where I found Dana sitting on the couch and Brittany on the floor, throwing the ball for Leo.

    “Took you long enough to get here.” Dana mumbled.

    “Well excuse me for living so far away.” I replied.

    “Brittany lives just as far as you do and she got here a long time ago.” Dana shot back.

    “Do you just like to start arguments to hear yourself talk?” I asked.

    Dana had nothing to say to that.

    Cassie’s mom had a love affair with taking pictures. When she came down stairs my first thought was that she looked nothing like Cassie, but as the night progressed, I guess they weren’t that different.

    I slipped the corsage over Cassie’s right wrist. The white flowers with pink around the edges actually matched the dress perfectly. Cassie admired it for several long minutes.