What If? Book the Third

Sunny jumped at the man, this 'Captain Sham' who had killed her aunt. She went to bite off the wooden leg of the murderer, so everyone would know that this man was Count Olaf. But Olaf simply scooped her up and patted her head. "See?" Olaf told her siblings. "Your baby sister likes me already."

"Well, children," Mr. Poe said. "As Sunny seems to like Captain Sham, I'll leave you here with your new father."

"Mr. Poe, wait!" Violet yelled. "Please! This man is Count Olaf! You can't leave us with him!" 

"Remember Stephano?" Klaus yelled desperately.

"Foute!" Sunny shrieked.

"Sunny, I don't understand you, but I assume you mean that you love your new father." "

"My sister means," said Klaus, "this man is not Captain Sham, he is Count Olaf, and she does not like him. Not at all."

Mr. Poe smiled at Violet, then at Klaus. "Now, children, I know that Count Olaf was very rude to you two but not everyone is Count Olaf. This man is Captain Sham. He has two eyebrows and he doesn't even have a left ankle."

"He wasn't just rude, Mr. Poe. That brute struck my brother, put my sister in a cage, tried to marry me, murdered our uncle, and now has murdered our aunt. And you expect us to go to him?"

"Oh, Violet, you'll see how wrong you are," Mr. Poe said affectionately. "Goodbye, children." With that, Mr. Poe left. Violet stared at Klaus. Klaus took Sunny back from Olaf.

"If you hurt a hair on any of our heads," Violet said, "I swear I will push you into Lake Lachrymose for the leeches. Like you did to Aunt Josephine." Violet's voice trembled with fear and rage.

"Oh, I'm shaking in my boots." Olaf laughed his terrible laugh. "Violet, do you really think that scares me? A threat from a fourteen-year-old? And me, a triumphant actor who will soon be very, very wealthy? I don't think so." He grinned at them. His triumphant smile showed yellowed teeth. "Come along, orphans. We're going to collect my fortune from the bank."

Violet looked at Klaus. He looked back at her. Then they both looked at Sunny. They nodded in unison. They had a plan. They would not go with Count Olaf. Violet shook her head. "No. We're not going with you. Take our money. We don't care, do we?" Klaus shook his head.

"Geen!" Sunny shrieked. 

"You know I don't understand your bucktoothed brat of a sister." Olaf snarled. "And I only need one of you to collect your fortune. Good thing one of you is small enough to run away with." And Olaf plucked Sunny from Klaus's arms.

"Sunny!" Violet yelled.

"Come back here with our sister!" Klaus shouted. He ran after Olaf, who laughed and got in a car, then drove away.

Violet and Klaus chased after the car, but it soon got onto a highway, and they could not follow it anymore. Klaus screamed in rage, then slumped into Violet. 

"Klaus," Violet cried, "That evil man has our sister. What should we do?"

"I don't know," Klaus said miserably.

The siblings hugged each other tightly. "We'll get her back, Klaus," Violet said. "We'll find her."