Quarsh Panaka

Chapter Three: In which Saw Gerrera does not assassinate Quarsh Panaka, and Chapter 12 of Leia: Princess of Alderaan has a different end.

16 AFE

______________________________________________

"Meeting you has been a unique experience, I shall speak to Palpatine himself about this." Moff Panaka said.

"About the miners?" Leia asked, hoping beyond hope that her meeting with the Imperial Moff would lead to better conditions for the exploited workers on Naboo's moon.

Panaka shook his head. "About you, Your Highness. I think he should know the Organas adopted a daughter of such distinction."

"If you'd mention the miners too, I'd appreciate it," she said as she slid her hand out from his grasp.

"Of course. I meant what I said, Princess Leia. The miners' supervisors will not get away with such petty thievery ever again."

Leia had not understood why the Moff had asked her so many questions about her adoption. About when exactly she had been born. Not then. Understanding would come later.

As she and Queen Dalné walked back to the Polestar together Leia tried and failed to make sense of the meeting. What could Panaka have meant?

Dalné had her theories, suggesting that perhaps the Moff was interested in her because he had once been friends with Leia's father, and they had a falling out.

Leia was less sure, proposing instead that as a friend of Palpatine's the man disliked Leia's father for being such an outspoken critic of the Emperor.

Neither answer seemed quite right.

The matter troubled her all the way home.

______________________________________________

He was reading reports about the Rebels on Lothal. The Jedi in their midst had to be dealt with, and the inquisitors had been dispatched to handle the situation. More importantly, he knew that Ahsoka was with them. If they crushed these Rebels, then she would reveal herself. Perhaps he could convince her to join him. If not, she would have to be eliminated.

There was an alert that flashed on his viewscreen, his Master was requesting a meeting with him immediately.

He closed the files he had been reviewing, and made his way to where the holoprojector was located in his chamber. He switched the device on, and kneeled in anticipation of his Master's hologram entering the space.

His gaze was focused on the ground in front of him, so he did not see his Master's image as it flickered in room, but he did see the blue light from the holoprojector as it danced across the floor. Why had his master requested this meeting? What was so urgent that Vader's work was to be interrupted?

"What is thy bidding, my Master?"

"I have just received the most interesting news from Naboo."

"From Naboo?" Vader could not understand what could possibly be happening on Naboo that his Master would want to share with him. Unless.... No. Such things were impossible.

"Yes. Moff Panaka had the most fascinating report for me."

Vader looked up, eyes narrowing at his Master behind his mask. What game was his Master playing?

A broad grin on his oversized and flickering face, Palpatine nodded. "Yes, the most fascinating report indeed. Panaka had two visitors earlier today. One of whom was Naboo's current Queen and the other..." Palpatine laughed, and Vader frowned. Panaka? Naboo's queen? Was this some new torture his Master had devised for him? "It seems Lord Vader that Panaka is convinced the other was the daughter of Padmé Amidala."