The Refiller

I always reckoned it wasn't powers that made a hero, but what they did with it. When the cosmic radiation changed people's genetics, I was also affected, but where some smashed cities or glowed like stars, my ability was subtle. And I hid it when the Superpowered took over countries and crushed armies. I used my power for simple things. When I ran out of beer, I refilled it without moving from my seat. When my tank was too low, I refilled it with petrol without budging a muscle. I kept my head down and obeyed the restrictions the superpowered dictator bestowed upon the city. I didn't want trouble, but trouble often found me.

When the rebellions rose, I stayed out of it. Even when facing guns and traps, the Superpowered were giants -- and we were ants. Nothing we did even scratched them. Until one day.

Someone irritated a Superpowered and, to show display his power, he turned the roof of my workplace into lava. Liquid metal dripped from above, searing my colleagues and turning them into blistering messes. I ran out, covering my nose and watering eyes. Our sprinklers had long melted. The rebellion arrived, their weapons poised, but the Superpowered radiated heat, distorting the air around him. The Superpowered cackled, enjoying the panic. He seemed to fancy himself as a Superman variant, wearing bright red underwear on the outside, the elastic of which dug into his belly.

An idea struck me. I stood still and focused on his pants.

It took some time, but his eyes widened. He fidgeted and crossed his legs. Sweat broke out over his forehead.

His fire died down.

Before he realised what happened, there was a bang and a net wrapped the Superpowered, knocking him to the ground. Loud shouts filled the air. The rebels rushed in, guns pointed at the Superpowered, yelling at him. The Superpowered was cuffed, his arms twisted behind his back. His face contorted as he struggled, but then a rebel jammed a knee to the guy's lower back.

"No—noooooo!" he wailed.

The guys nearest to him wrinkled their faces in disgust.

"Jeez, I thought you lot were super powerful – but this guy just pissed himself!"

There was a ripple of laughter. The Superpowered flushed with embarrassment.

"Just you wait," he yelled. "I'll torch all your faces off. I'll burn your homes to the ground. I'll—"

That was when I saw it. His hands glowed. He readied his fire to reduce the men to cinders. I focused again. He yelped, scrunching up his face. The fire disappeared. He rolled, whimpering. The men groaned.

"Yo, stop pissing yourself, will you? You stink..."

"I'll kill you all!"

I followed the truck on my pushbike, in case the Superpowered escaped before he could be secured in the rebellion's headquarter. Every time he prepared to retaliate – and he was vocal about it – I would fill his bladder again.

I guess this city just got a new ultimate weapon.

Word count: 498

Written for Ambassadors's Rise prompt.

Roses and Dreams: A Collection of Short Fantasy Storiesजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें