Part 5: Illness and Inklings

The whole day, in every class, Toni also recalls Friday nights events. Who could've stabbed Sweet Pea? Why on earth did we think it was a good idea to let him walk home alone? Was that the real Cheryl she had comforted? So many thoughts raced through her head, making her feel dizzy and uncomfortable. Half way through her 4th lesson, just before lunch, Toni complains of a bad headache and is sent home. 

As she leaves the school gates, she spots a stressed Cheryl, sat behind the wheel but the engine turned off. Cheryl's head on the wheels and her hands the same. Toni wonders what's wrong, having a strong and obvious feeling its about her Nana. 

Toni decides to walk past her bike and head straight to the car Cheryl is sat in. Due to her head being on the wheel, she doesn't notice Toni walking up the the window.

She knocks on it softly, and waves when Cheryls head rises. Tear stains replace make up and Tonis smile turns to shock when she see's. The window rolls down, and Cheryl wipes her drying tears away.

"Can I come sit?" Toni asks as Cheryl nods, unlocking the passenger seat door. Toni walks swiftly towards the door and takes a seat. 

It's so quiet you could easily hear a pin drop. After a few tense moments, Toni speaks up, "Is your Nana doing better?" and waits patiently for a reply, passing Cheryl a tissue.

She takes it from her, and dabs under her eyes, collecting herself. "Better..." she stutters, "Thank you, for caring, at least enough to check up on me like this".

"It's noth----- It's my pleasure. Anything you need" Toni replies, and places her hand on Cheryl's leg. "And I mean anything" whilst passing her a note with her number, "In case of emergencies". 

"Can I give you a lift home?" Cheryl asks but Toni declines politely, and states her motorbike is just there, pointing in it's direction. 

A few moments later, Toni opens the car door, but not before Cheryl could get in her words, "Thanks again, you're... really something", to which Toni returns a soft smile and walks back to her bike. Cheryl watches her leave, knowing they've made some progress and lingers at the digets in her hand.