Chapter 2

Tuesday 22 October 2013
The Guardian

A confidential report has been leaked across the Internet showing the precarious financial position of the Church of England. The Church has refused to comment on both the source and validity of the information.

In a related story, concern grows regarding the health of the Archbishop of Canterbury who has cancelled his appointments for the remainder of the month.

Dr Annabel Gestine stood, looking up at the fresco on the wall. Colours shifting, swirling, she could see the patterns behind the anarchy, the spread of entropy through images and emotive traces. She reached for her mug of coffee, black and strong, was there any other way? No contamination, it was as it stood, caffeine and a burst of hot water, what else was needed?

A deep sip, she braced herself for the scald as the hot liquid sluiced down her throat, wait for the kick. Those were good beans, she must find out what supplier the Vatican used for its caffeine fix.

Gestine took a step towards the fresco and frowned, trying to trace a line of scarlet red with her short right index finger, losing the way and starting again. It looked so obvious from a distance, yet with one line beckoning her attention, she could not make it out from the maelstrom of dyes. She took two steps back; there it was, now she could follow the ducking and diving, weaving line without symmetry.

Her learning? Step outside, become remote and re-frame, sense and become one with the big picture, not focus on one line of enquiry in isolation, the overall image was the truth. Gestine nodded, life through images, she found it more difficult to allow people to drive her reflection; too many confidentialities she really should not share with anyone. Could she describe art as her mentor? She smiled. What would the psychiatrists at the Federal Bureau say to that?

Cardinal Anders looked quizzically at the lady in front of him, tracking changes that the years had brought. The same taste in navy blue remained, except the jeans and shirt had morphed into a suit, the hair had gone from a mousy brown to bleached white, short and spiked. Piercing eyes and that determined set to her face, same old Gestine, only older.

'So, has age mellowed you and imparted you wisdom Dr Gestine?' His serious expression was undone by the avuncular tone.

A pout of the lips and shudder, 'No, experience shows me that we were right all along; my only regret is that I should have had the courage of my convictions at an earlier age.' It was her time to appear serious. 'To think you of all people counselled patience and a strategic plan, drumming in to me the need to look towards the long term.' A shake of her elven head, 'Our faith leaders are no more than managers, tinkering with issues on the sideline. Who is really driving change and grasping the faithful, moving them to centre stage?' Gestine lent back, sighing, eyes aloft. 'We have lost the middle ground, any semblance of change is linked to radicalism, whether through Islam or Christianity, you are almost made to apologise if you show any semblance of faith.'

'Same old, same old.' Gravel undertones to the voice, unused to this low volume level, missing the opportunity to boom and project to an enthralled audience from the pulpit. 'This we know, I see the self-righteous young girl who used to harangue me about my sermons. We share the same core values and methodology, now can we adopt the same vision?'

A sharpening of her eyes, Anders had little use for small talk. 'I want to see a world where there is an appreciation of the awe and wonder that has been offered by our Lord and Lady. The expectation that this life has simply been given on a plate; that there has been no cost, no suffering, must be challenged.' Gestine looked across to Anders, he was nodding slightly; they were in tune. 'With no pain there will be no recognition of what has been forsaken to allow people to exist. Are we flourishing? Are we living a deep or shallow existence? Only through spiritual leadership can we unlock the true potential of a person and people. It is the road least travelled; the alternative is far too alluring and, well, easy.' She shrugged. 'People must be led so they can experience what they have been offered, and how their lives can be truly enriched.'