The Box

They found the cryptic clue down by the water. It was well hidden inside the knot hole of the old willow tree that branched out providing shade on a hot summer's day. That's the kind if day it was when Aryionna got up to see what was sparkling in the tree. She and Elyssa had been laying on the grass looking up into the sky, finding shapes and magnificent creatures in the cloud formations above them.

"What are you doing?" Elyssa asked.

"There 'a something shiny up there. See it? It's way up there in that hole, wonder what it is? "

"Can you reach it?"

"No" Aryionna answered, "too high. If I lifted you up on my shoulders maybe you could try?"

"Sure!" Elyssa exclaimed in excitement.

The girls were into their second week of summer vacation and already had run out of fun things to keep them busy. Aryionna had a few jobs to earn a bit of money. She cleaned out her aunt's chicken coop now and then, helped the neighbour down the road with her weeding and fed the lambs at the sheep farm each morning. She was usually able to finish both those jobs and her own chores by noon each day, leaving her to enjoy the rest of the day playing.

Elyssa, 3 years younger, helped with the morning chores at home and on days when Aryionna worked, she did her sister's jobs as well. Both girls got along famously. Of course there were sisterly squabbles now and then, but they loved and appreciated one another. You could tell by the daily little kindnesses they did for each other.

"Reach. Reach Elyssa, just a bit more, you almost have it!"

"Stand on your toes Aryionna, higher! There! There! I have it! It's a tiny box! Ok."

Aryionna lowered her to the ground and Elyssa held out her hand, displaying the treasure. It was a small rectangular silver box. They set it down carefully on the soft grass and Elyssa wiped the layer of mud and dirt from the top with the edge of her shirt. They could see a dainty rose etched into the lid with the words 'For My Sarah' neatly engraved below.

"Who's Sarah?" asked the smaller one.

"Dunno" replied Aryionna, "but this box looks really old."

"Will it open? Let's see what's inside!" Elyssa was getting excited. "Maybe it's a diamond ring! Or a gold crown! Or a magic stone!"

"Too small for a gold crown silly."

"Shake it!" she insisted.

Aryionna held it up and shook the shiny silver container close to her ear. There was something inside! It didn't tinkle or bang against the inside of the box, rather it was a soft swishing thud.

"Listen!" Aryionna whispered as she shook the find close to Elyssa's ear.

Her eyes widened in excitement and she grabbed her sister's hand, "Open it!"

"Ok! Ok!" said Aryionna and she held the box in front if them both.