Chapter 12

Silence... complete and utter silence. That's the only way to describe the uncomfortable ride. We swerved around rubble and biters alike, the only noise coming from the tires on the road and occasional groan of a biter getting too close. Even Gracie laid silent in my arms, "hey uh Tyler"? I stuttered jumping at the sound of my own voice. She looked up at me "what exactly happened.. you know with May"? I asked.
        She fidgeted in the cramp car turning in my direction just enough to face me. "I was running from the guys, I stumbled into a room full of walkers" she started "they were dead though, she had killed them but.. she was bit" "she asked to talk to me, she didn't want to be alone so I stayed with her.. that's when I found out who she was" she paused "she gave me the necklace in case I ever found you". Her voice trailed off at the end "thank you" I whispered smiling slightly to myself, she didn't have to be alone. The thought though saddening me made me happy in a way, or at least comforted.
      Matthew put a hand on my shoulder and I grabbed his hand, holding it tight. I could feel Zach's eyes on us, or at least on me but I didn't care. He could hate me forever for all I cared, at least I knew I had one person who was there. I met eyes with Carly and smiled, she returned it.. correction two people. I looked down at Gracie who stared back up at me peacefully for once. I smiled putting out my hand, she wrapped her finger around it and I couldn't help but laugh. Tears brimming my eyes and yet I laughed, nothing will ever be the same, but maybe it'll be okay that way.
      We finally pulled off at the woods where our truck and Rv were parked. Emily, Matthew, Gracie, and I took the Rv while Cody, Tyler, Zach, and Carly; after some protest, took the truck. Without a specific place, without a specific plan we left.. we just drove away from that place of death.. of sadness.. of demons.. we left behind our own troubles and left, no more secrets, no more fighting. Instead we decided to just drive, we'll see where this road takes us but in the meantime we're alive, we're safe, and we're together. For the most part.
       "I'm sorry" I stated to no one, "I'm sorry I didn't tell y'all, I was going to just not yet" I looked up meeting Emily's eyes in the mirror. "I've changed so much in the month we've been together, I've learned and seen so much.. I've gained so much" I paused "I didn't want to lose that, I didn't wanna lose y'all" I finished. Matthew went to say something but I stopped him "I didn't say it to start this conversation, what's done is done, what I did.. or didn't do, there's nothing we can do to change that" "just wanted y'all to know" I finished and he nodded.
"How.." Emily said with a sad tone, "how did you get bit and survive" she asked shaking her head. "I-I don't know, I wish I did" I mumbled towards the end. Thinking back on it, this group was so much simpler before me. I brought Cody and May and my trust issues, I brought Tyler and the others. I got bit, I got Matt shot.. I'm. I put my head in my hand getting myself out of my thoughts. "Should've left me on that roof" I laughed shaking my head. I grabbed a container of apple sauce and began to feed Gracie. "No we shouldn't have"! Matt exclaimed shifting his weight a little, wincing.
"Don't move a lot" I shot back rocking Gracie. "Since I've been here, three people have joined your group, ones dead" I paused "we headed into the dead zone, picked up a child who poses a huge liability, Matt got shot, Ive had my moments where I almost get someone killed on several occasions". "Now everyone's at each other's throats" I finished leaving everyone in a dead silence, "maybe we should've" Emily shrugged getting a glare from Matthew. "But we didn't, and now your one of us.. you can't change what's been done" she finished looking at me in the mirror.
Zach's Pov ~~
A single tear rolled down my cheek. I quickly wiped it away focusing on the road ahead. "I can't believe you" Carly said angrily glaring at me with a look like daggers. "It's not his fault... even I didn't know" Cody backed me up. "So you act like your not the one who climbed up on that roof, who convinced her to come here" she spat at him. "I like her" she mumbled, "it's not like I hate her" I stared dead at the road. "I liked her, I really did.. I risked a lot trusting her, but she couldn't trust us" I finished my anger turning into sadness.
"Not everyone's as open as you about their feelings Zach" She snickered "remember when you first met me"? "Yeah" I laughed "you punched me in the stomach after I kept asking you about your family" I shook my head. "I came around" she continued and I looked at her in the mirror, "she will too" she finished. I looked at the RV in the rear view mirror, maybe everything will work out in the end...
Casey's POV
        "Pull over" I said suddenly, "what"? Emily looked around for any threat of danger. "Just pull over, signal for the truck to do so too" I continued. Emily flashed the lights and started to slow to a stop, I hopped out before we stopped and ran over to the truck. I banged on the window "get out"! I exclaimed and went to the others who were climbing out the RV concerned. I handed Gracie to Emily and climbed on top of the RV. Matthew sat against it while Carly, Cody, and Zach followed. I looked over the horizon to see a two story house off the road about a mile away. "Look" I said smiling "the house"? Cody questioned me puzzled. "The wimpy house, possible with medical supplies, food, shelter" I exclaimed. Carly smiled "I'm down for an actual bed" she laughed. "Zach"? I asked looking at him waiting for a reaction. He just nodded..
        "I guess it's settled" Emily called up from the ground. We piled back into our cars and pulled out into the field, driving through the weeds avoiding the dead and ditches. When we finally pulled up to the house I realized how big it was. "Please let this be a good place" I whispered as Matthew grabbed my hand. "It will be" he said in a reassuring voice. Emily pulled to a halt behind the truck, "are you guys ready" she asked and we nodded pulling out our weapons. "Matthew stay here" I said as he began to try and stand. "But" he started but a glare from Emily shot him down. We fanned out, checking the house's perimeter before heading inside. It didn't take long to realize that it was secure.... it was safe.
     I opened drawers in the kitchen to find them untouched "guys we might actually have something here" I laughed excitedly. Carly ran into the kitchen "I found a couple medical supplies"! She exclaimed. "Could we actually live here though"? Emily asked rocking Gracie slightly. "We can put up a fence, fortify the house, we can make this work" Zach looked around happily. "We can make this work" he repeated looking at me. "I'll get Matthew"! I yelled as I ran out to the RV. When I got there he was already waiting by the door, "is it okay" he asked urgently weapon still drawn... "it's perfect" I smiled pulling him into a hug... "it's perfect" 

To be continued..... "It seems as though this is the end of my story, of our story. Or perhaps it's just the beginning" "Matthews still hurt, We still have a child with us". "But maybe this place is safe... but then again is anywhere safe anymore"
I hope you'll stick around for book two, comment what you thought of this first one and what you think might happen later on! Thank you all so much for reading!! 💙