Chapter Two

"Great! Philip will show the two of you to your beds, and I will show this beautiful lady to hers when we get back." The guard got up off the couch and walked over to me, offering his arm. I peeked over at James and Elio. Elio seemed very relaxed, while James appeared to be tense, holding back his aggravation.

What kind of guy asks a girl out before he even introduces himself?

Sir Flirt, which is the name I will permanently know him by, closed the door behind us and lead the way to the bar.

"My name's Mack by the way, I guess I never did ask for yours."

I let out a small giggle and immediately regretted it; Of course he's got one of those "tough guy" names. He looked over at me, slightly confused.

"Sorry, I'm just a bit nervous is all," I lied. "My name is Violet."

Mack returned his attention ahead of us.

"What's a pretty girl like you working at a prison for?"

"I don't know, to be honest." I shrugged, "I admire the bravery of the people who risk their lives every day to keep these so-called "heroes" locked up. I want to help."

"Wow, you're a deep chick," Sir Flirt chuckled.

We soon reached the elevator. I felt a growing sense of freedom as the elevator rose higher. I didn't like the thought of having this much leeway to myself, but I knew I wouldn't feel this kind of relief for a long while if I was going to see that all the prisoners made it out. The more I thought about it, the more I began to question my plan. There were going to be plenty of casualties, and heroes recaptured. How was I going to pull all this off? Maybe I should just make a run for it now. I shook my head. I was being selfish. I had already known this was going to be nearly impossible.

"Are you okay, Violet?" I nearly jumped out of my skin at the sound of his voice. We weren't in the elevator anymore. We had entered a spacious metallic room with silver walls. Posters of famous heroes that were trapped here littered the walls. The floor had dark grey tiles, a black triangle tip for the corners of every square. Straight ahead was a huge screen that covered the top of the wall behind the bar. There were circular black tables scattered around the room, each with a few comfy leather chairs surrounding them. The doors to the washrooms were to my left, and in the right back corner there was a small stage. Sir Flirt was waiting for me to sit down on one of the wine-colored stools at the bar.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just contemplating something." I sat down, and Sir Flirt took the stool on my right. A girl who looked to be only fourteen years old stood behind the counter.

"What can I get you two to drink?" she asked politely. Her eyes had heavy bags underneath, and her voice sounded tired.

"Give me a beer," Sir Flirt demanded. I clenched my fists in my lap. The poor girl didn't deserve this. Did Mack even have manners? Was he not seeing how exhausted this young girl was, or did he just not care?

"What do you have that's nonalcoholic?"

The girl took out some glasses, placing them delicately on the counter. "We have water, sparkling apple cider and-"

"I'll take a sparkling apple cider." I removed the rough, black cap to let my hair fall free. I was hoping that Sir Flirt would find me more attractive this way and that it would distract him a bit. He didn't know me, so he wouldn't be able to recognize me as a prisoner. No one else was here except the kid working the bar, anyways. Sir Flirt glanced my way, observing me for a few seconds. The young barista handed us our drinks.

"You're even more beautiful with your hair down," Sir Flirt stated, taking a swig of his beer.

What a cliche line. I took a sip of my drink, savoring the sweet, fizzy taste. It had been a long time since I could drink anything but water. I tried to think of some way to casually ask him about the prison.