Chapter 10

"Would you two stop?! Fighting each other is not gonna help us!" I exclaimed as Scott and Derek faced each other in their wolf form. They ignored me and continued growling at each other. "Honestly, men! There's too much fucking testosterone." I sighed, giving up.
I looked out a small window and saw a red laser. My eyes widened and I turned back to the two werewolves.
"Hunters!" I warned.
Everything started happening at once. Hundreds of bullets were fired, shattering the windows and splintering the wood. Pain burst from my hip and I cried out, dropping to the floor. I drug myself out the line of fire and covered my ears, gritting my teeth from pain. Scott dropped beside me, a bullet wound in his side that was producing purple smoke.
"Wolfs bane." I breathed.
A stray bullet hit me in the same hip and I cried out again, tears filling my eyes. I noticed Derek on the other side of the room and he looked over at us. He somehow managed to make his way over and hauled us both to our feet. I moaned in pain as I half ran half stumbled after Derek who was supporting Scott.
We left Derek's house through the back door and I fell out the doorway. I forced myself back up, crying because of the pain. I managed to trail behind them for a while before my leg gave out completely. I crumpled onto the forest floor in a heap.
"Derek!" I cried out.

Derek's P.O.V.
My head snapped to look behind me and I saw Steph on the ground. I set Scott down and ran back to her, kneeling beside her. She looked up at me with a pained expression and tears in her eyes. I raked my gaze over her and noticed the whole of her right leg was covered in blood.
"No." I breathed, my eyes widening. "Did you get shot?" She nodded and held up two fingers. "Twice?!"
"Hurts." She gasped, grasping the end of my jacket in her small fist.
"Hold on sweetie." I gently lifted her into my arms and went back to Scott. "Fuck." I muttered, noticing he'd passed out.
I shifted Steph slightly so I could carry her with one arm before grabbing Scott and hauling him up. I hooked my arm around him and half dragged him by my side.
I saw a blue jeep parked on the side of the road and glanced up at the sky, relieved.
"Stiles!" I yelled. His head appeared and he saw me.
He fell out his jeep and came running over. He took Scott from me and I secured both my arms around Steph.
"What happened?" he asked.
"Hunters." I stated. "We need to get to the vet. Now."
***************************************************************************
Dr Deaton had managed to counteract the wolfs bane in Scott's system and now focused on Steph.
"Is it your leg that's been shot?" he asked.
"Hip."
He nodded and lifted her shirt up to expose her stomach before undoing her jeans and pulling them down to reveal her hips. I inhaled sharply at the two bullet wounds in her right hip.
"This is going to hurt. I have to wash the blood away and clean the wounds."
I noticed him open a bottle of anti-septic and I bit my bottom lip. I turned Steph's head to face me so she wouldn't see. Dr Deaton sighed before pouring the liquid onto her hip. Steph shrieked and I leant down, holding her body still on the metal table.
"Jesus Christ!" Stiles exclaimed.
"Derek! Help me!" she screamed, crying and clutching onto my shirt. Her body shook and writhed beneath my hands. "Please!"
My heart broke at how much pain she was in and I bowed my head, pushing back the tears.
"I'm right here." I whispered, my voice wavering a little.
Deaton wiped the area dry and I felt my mate's body slump back down onto the table. I swallowed the lump in my throat as he picked up a pair of forceps. I leant over the top part of her body with my arms either side of her head and my forehead on hers, blocking her view completely.
"It hurts." Her voice cracked as tears flowed down her smooth cheeks. I saw her bite back a scream and her hands held onto the collar of my jacket tightly, making her knuckles turn white.
"I know." I said quietly, feeling tears well up in my eyes. She whimpered and I felt a single tear fall from my eye. It landed on her cheek and her eyes flicked up to meet mine.
"Derek." She murmured.
I shut my eyes and felt her small hands on my cheeks.
"You're so cold." I whispered, placing my hands over hers. I heard her groan.
"Not much longer Stephanie. I've got the bullets out and I'm sewing the wounds shut. You're doing really well."
Steph let out a shaky breath and I opened my eyes again, looking straight down into her blue / green ones. I pressed a soft kiss to her mouth and she gave me a small smile, making me feel a little better.
"Okay, you're all done." Deaton said a few minutes later. "I just need you to lift her hips up so I can wrap a bandage."
I stood up properly and slid my arms behind her back. I lifted her as gently as I could and kept her there as he bandaged her.
After he'd finished I set her back down on the table.
"I'll just go find some scrubs you can wear. They're loose so it won't dig in." Steph nodded before he left the room.
"Is Scott okay?" she asked softly. I looked over at him and Stiles.
"Yeah, he's just sleeping." Stiles replied. She nodded before looking up at me.
"I'm sorry." She whispered.
"Why?" I frowned.
"Maybe if I wasn't yelling at you two, you would have heard-" I cut her off by placing my finger on her lips. I leant down so my face was nearer her level.
"Don't you dare finish that. This is not your fault." I said firmly. She nodded. "No, it's not sweetheart. It's hunters. The Argents."
"It's not Allison." She said through my finger.
"I know."
I removed my finger from her lips and stood back up as Deaton returned.
"Right, these should fit you. They're the smallest we have." He handed the scrubs to me. "Stiles could you come with me?"
Stiles scurried after Deaton as he left the room, shutting the door behind them. Steph hissed in pain as she tried to sit herself up. I quickly pushed her back down flat again.
"But-"
"I'll do it." I said gently, pulling off her shoes. Her cheeks turned light pink and she nodded.
I hooked my fingers under the waistband of her jeans and pulled them the rest of the way own her legs before slipping the scrub pants on her. I gently sat her up once more and supported her with one arm while I slipped her shirt off with the other. I helped her pull the other shirt over her head.
"I don't want to lie down."
"What do you wanna do? You can't exactly stand yet." I said.
"I just want you to hold me." She replied quietly. My face softened and I smiled at her.
I got up on the table and sat behind her, stretching my legs on the outside of hers. I took my jacket off and put it on her before wrapping my arms around her small waist.
End Derek's P.O.V.

I sighed happily and leant back against Derek's warm chest. He nuzzled his face in the side of my neck before kissing it softly.
"I'm proud of you." He said, resting his chin on my shoulder.
"Why?" I asked.
"You didn't faint like him."
"Derek." I scolded lightly. "That bullet was wolfs bane. Cut him some slack."
The door opened and Dr Deaton and Stiles came in again.
"I have a small amount of morphine for you. It'll take away most of the pain and make you feel more comfortable."
I shied back as Dr Deaton walked over with a needled syringe. I tried to hide myself in Derek's chest as the needle came closer to me.
"I don't want it!" I protested.
"It will ease the pain." Dr Deaton said.
"No!" I squealed as he was about to press the needle into my right thigh. "I said no!" I exclaimed, knocking the syringe out of his hand.
"Steph, it'll help you." Derek said gently.
"I don't like syringes." I stated.
"Oh." Realisation dawned on Stiles. "I remember." I sniffed and nodded.
"Remember what?" Derek asked.
"A year ago my dad, he injected me with a high dosage of drugs and I nearly dies." I wiped my face and Derek held me more securely to him.
"This is a very small dose, I assure you."
"Please Steph, I don't want you in pain." Derek whispered by my ear. I whimpered and nodded.
I turned my head and buried my face in Derek's chest. His hand held my head there and I felt a sharp scratch in my thigh, making me yelp.
"All done. The pain should start easing in a few minutes and you may start to feel drowsy." Dr Deaton said. I pouted up at Derek and he stroked my cheeks.
"It's okay." He said quietly. My eyelids drooped and I heard him chuckle. "Go to sleep."
"Don't leave me." I mumbled, hugging one of his muscled arms.
"I'm right here."
My eyes slid shut and my body relaxed against his, letting sleep take over me.

Aww, Derek does have a soft side;)