Ch. 5 To Run or Rescue

I would like to dedicate this chapter to Bubblefun24
Thanks for reading! And everyone check out her profile! It's worth it!

∆ ∆ ∆ ∆ ∆ ∆ ∆ ∆ ∆

I tried to place myself into the way my dear mother would of thought and done things. I had to find some courage, and I personally didn't really have any! But my mum was an Alzonian Warrior. They feared nothing and they were the ones feared!

Even though I stumbled occasionally in my satin slippers, sliding across the rocky terrain. And even although my long black and silver velvet gown did trip me up a bit, nothing was going to stop me from getting to Finn!

The frigid air that Gremelda had caused, made me shiver, so unusual for my race and I realized that I would need warmer things for us, as well as getting away before the entire keep fell! Screams of agony still filled the air and my heart cried in sorrow for all the people suffering and dying. My life was simply crumbling like a dry biscuit before me, but it was sounding so terribly worse for many more whose cries tore at my very soul.

One final glance back at the frozen and impossibly slushy seas, now tinged pink with the blood of my people, I could feel my courage falter momentarily. Ducked down, wide eyed at the image of this tiny Goddess of destruction, it was difficult to imagine her being so evil and wretched. If the proof weren't right before my very eyes, I might argue that such a dainty, pretty creature couldn't or wouldn't be such a nightmare!

She looked more celestial in nature, with satiny, silverish hair blowing in the tempest.Barely five feet in height and a tiny womanly shape showcased in a dress that looked like it was made of ice and lace dripping diamonds. And those tiny hands! Hands that could wreak unbelievable havoc from their dainty fingertips.

Yet as lovely as her face was, with her tiny, slightly pointed nose and high cheek bones. And her large, slanted, greenish, sea coloured eyes that flashed like a storm in all the lighting and thunder crashing loud across the unreal sky. Something about her face held a cruelty. It caused the tiny hair to stand up upon my arms. Evil played within this creature, it was clearly obvious.

I had a horrible sense all of the sudden that if I did not escape this instant, she would see me and then destroy me with a mere glance of her smirking face! I quickly hustled down the stone passageway to run as fast as my legs would fly to reach the Royal wings. Which for some odd reason, the attack was not affecting.

My last glance at her as the snow and ice struck myface, was my life and Finny's were over if I didn't find a way to get us away from here! And if there was a kingdom for him left to rule after this awful catastrophic event, I would bring him back...

face, was my life and Finny's were over if I didn't find a way to get us away from here! And if there was a kingdom for him left to rule after this awful catastrophic event, I would bring him back as the rightful King!

There was a small alcove that led two ways. One went deep underground for storage and other less pleasant places,like the dungeons. The other went straight alongside the castle wall and exited near the royal chambers. The route I was quite familiar with. I had just begun to place my hand on the handle to run up to Fin, when I heard voices. Someone was already in the hallway! Were they attempting to escape? I was unsure of who or what was actually happening! I knew I hadn't much time, but making a mistake would be disastrous! I decided to stand where I was for a few seconds and see if I could hear what was being said. Even if the individuals exited back out, unless they shut the door to go down underground, the upper door would hide me behind it once opened up. Now if they shut the door, even though their backs would be turned to me, chances are I would be spotted.

Placing my ear to the door and crossing my fingers, I strained to identify what was being said. To my horror and absolute shock, the voices were coming through loud and clear. And they were voices I knew! What in Hells Black Hounds was going on!

It was Dellie and my Father's Right Hand Man, his most trusted soldier for many years! They were behind some if not all of this! They weren't going to destroy the entire keep, for once we were all dead, me, my Father, even Dellie's own sister, Jonna, they would take over! Actually Gremelda would rule, but Dellie and Man would be the human honour guard. Then I heard the words that changed me from an innocent to a woman. "Gremelda killed the King and Queen!" Dellie laughed wickedly. "I am going to get the important scrolls in his desk, you watch my back love, then we will kill that disgusting halfbreed skag Valerian and decide what to do with the baby."

I wasn't completely sure what the part about the baby meant, but I knew they were not getting me or my brother! I wanted to confront that dastardly liar my Father trusted his life with, and with my bare hands eviscerate that stinking whore Dellie! But I knew time was short and I must get Finn , supplies and escape from this nightmare!

There wasn't even time to mourn the loss of my father or any of our people. I feel hollow deep inside, but the pain will come later. I know that is a given. I ran back up and slipped back in through my secret spot. Into the castle keep I peered into the throne room, quickly wishing I hadn't. For on their thrones, frozen and bloody, eyes nearly white, were my Father and Jonna.It was a sight I would live to have nightmares from forever. Other dead littered the floors, frozen as well.

Where was Finny, dammit! I needed my lovey boy now more than ever! I needed to know he was safe! In the pantry I grabbed thick bear skins white as the snow. Two medium sized ones, so I could grab a knapsack and stuff it with dried meats and fruits, cheese, bread and some other odds and ends. Two water bladders and I was loaded down. I tore up the servants stairs toward my Father's private quarter. I knew the combination to get into his desk and quickly had his documents. I heard footsteps coming up and ducked into an old storage room realizing my Mother's belongings were stored here! I found her armour in a soft leather bag and put her boots on my feet, even though they felt quite strange! I also put a thick warm white cloak I found hanging from a hook.

I was doing my best to sneak to the nursery, and when I was nearly there, a figure also cloaked was about ten feet ahead of me with a whimpering bundle.

No Way! I was too close! No one was going to stop me from getting my baby brother! I flew like a hurricane at the figure, slamming into their back! Nearly dropping Finn, the figure turned.

"What the fuck Valerian!," My Father's other closest friend scowled at me. "I almost dropped him!"

"Sorry!" I muttered. "You are not with Dellie, Dad's other protector that killed him or Gremelda, right?"

"Valerian, you know I loved your father like a brother! And I don't understand all of what has been going on behind our backs or what is happening now. But I know we need to get out of here right away!"

Together with their supplies and each other and little Finn, they made their race down and away to find shelter and a new home for the three of them.