15 Jake Street

With a start I wake up to a sharp knocking on my car window. Looking out I see an older gentleman. He has greying hair and a stoic posture. Opening my car door I take the keys from the ignition and exit to the evening air.

" Hello I'm Mark Johnson. You must be Holly May, I hope you traveled safe " His voice is gruff and kind as he offers me his hand.

My hand meets his giving a strong shake. " Nice to meet you Mr Johnson, and I did, thank you."

Moving to the front door he speaks again. " You shouldn't have any problems with the place we got our local handyman to come in this week and he has fixed up everything. There's insulation in the walls, a fireplace for heating and we had a heatpump installed last winter. If you want I can get you in touch with Ronan, the handyman cause he can help you get some firewood." He opens the door leading into a short hall way and enters the room to the right.

" So this is the kitchen, as you can see plenty of storage. Oh, and there's cookies in here," He opens the top cabinet portraying a flowery cookie tin. "My wife dropped them of this morning, and she would love it if you came for lunch on Sunday after church. I'll give you the address."

We continue on through the house looking into each room. Mr Johnson continues to give me tidbits of advice about the house the town and such. Even telling me a bit about the school.  I immediately felt comfortable on his presence, his kind demeanour putting me at ease.

At the door he hands over the keys. "I hope you settle in Holly. If you hav3 any problems let me know. You've got my number so you can ring me whenever and let me know if you are keen to come for lunch." Giving a brief wave he walks to his car.

As I move towards my own car, my steadfast Demo, I glance behind me to my new home. It's a small whitewashed cottage, with with a veranda and deck, vines climb up the support beams and a flower bed grazes it's base.

It is a daunting prospect to move all of my belongings from the car to the house. It had taken me a long time to pack the car let alone the bags and boxes, and I know that it's likely going to take me longer to unpack.

***

I was incredibly lucky because the house was advertised to come either furnished or unfurnished. For the reality is that I'm not in a financial state to completely set up my own home. It was a real blessing in disguise.

As I go to and from the car, lugging my things into my abode. I admire furnishings of the rooms. The lounge comes with a vintage couch,  a mounted TV  and a large oak bookshelf. There was also going to be room for my arm chair that would be delivered with my last few things this week.

The only bedroom was large, and filled with a large vintage rose wood bed set. It was beautiful and I felt like I was in stepping into a cottage from history.  The wardrobe was huge and a full length mirror was hidden behind its door. While the dresser was big enough to fit a lot if not all of my clothes, but also having space to sit in front of its mirror.

The bathroom had been a pleasant surprise and had been clearly renovated recently.  Though it still kept the old fashioned look of the rest of the house. I could see myself living here in the long term. This was in itself a great relief. For I was tired of an the uncertain future that had been mine for months now. But I could see myself living here maybe painting some of the walls and adopting a cat or dog.

***

Every room in my new home is now filled varied miscellaneous items that have yet to find homes, and empty boxes are stacking up out in the hall. However, with the time showing half past twelve and with no end to unpacking in site it is time to call it a night. So grabbing my sleeping bag I shove random stuff off of the bed and curl up to sleep.