Chapter 7

7. New and Improved

(2 hours before the party)

Jack's apartment was tiny but felt almost like home. Posters of different musicians decorated the walls whilst his colorful rack of clothing spilled out from his closet. While putting his long hair up in a ponytail he pressed the 'play' button on his lap top and music started spilling out of the speakers.

"Welcome to by humble abode. Make yourself comfortable anywhere you'd like and I'll get us some wine to drink." He cheerfully sang while running around the small space.

Libra took a seat at the edge of his bed and stared at the knee-high boots Sophia had urged her to put on tonight. When they had bought them at the store Libra thought she'd never dare to wear shoes like that but perhaps Sophia was right about tonight – she needed to put her best foot forward and at least try.

"Are you sure you can't see my butt hanging out of this skirt? It is SO short, Jack." Libra protested but Jack ignored her and shook his head no. They had already discussed the skirt the whole way over to Jack's place and he wasn't about to do it again.

"Here is your wine," Jack gave her a glass of red and sat down on the floor in front of her, "how are you feeling about tonight?"

"I'm not quite sure actually, what if Dillon is actually going to be there. What do I say to him if we run into each other?"

She was worried and that was obvious but the last thing she wanted was to be stuck in an awkward conversation with Dillon at her first party. What she was about to do tonight wasn't her thing and even if she looked the part she certainly didn't feel it yet.

"If you see him you say hello and then you keep walking. Rebecca and I will be here for you the whole night, you can trust me." Jack said and tilted his head slightly.

Libra knew she had no business trusting someone with her secrets on the second day, but Jack seemed honest enough and seeing as they had gone through similar experiences she knew he would understand her. So she took a leap of faith and decided to go with his words even if she didn't know where they would take her, tonight.

"I can tell you need convincing," Jack said and stood up, brought her to his bathroom mirror and placed her in front of it, "you look beautiful and you should feel beautiful too. Give the new and improved Libra a chance to make her appearance." He brushed away some hair from her neck and smiled. 'The new and improved' Libra smiled and nodded in compliance with Jack. What better night than tonight.

(Present time)

Libra was standing in front of Dillon; stunned and shocked that he had lectured her about her about having an attitude and saying that it was 'mostly' his fault? All of it was his fault as far as she was concerned and that was not up for debate. She had never done anything to deserve being treated like shit by him and his friends, in high school, so as far as she was concerned she didn't have to let him prove anything to her. He should be happy she didn't kick him in the groin for what he'd put her through.

And then there was the situation with the investigation that had yet to be closed. That awful prank that had been done on her, that prank that had caused her so much internally and had most likely been a product of a certain crew from North Haven High – that's why she didn't want Dillon to prove anything, she already knew him. Or did she?

As much as she felt like she knew Dillon Holden the guy standing in front of her had the look of someone who was sincere, but she still doubted if he was. Libra sighed and let her shoulders drop a bit, and then she finally decided to look up at Dillon. Here she was, in an environment that wasn't familiar, trying to pose as a cool and confident girl when she really wasn't. She was begging society for a chance to accept her as the person she had become, just like she had asked society for a chance to accept her way back in high school. Back then people hadn't accepted her but did that mean she should treat Dillon the same way he treated her?

She heard Jack's voice inside her and was reminded that she didn't need to speak to Dillon if she didn't want to and to let people see an improved version of herself. Maybe he was also trying to show off his 'new and improve' self?

"I'm sorry for being rude toward you Dillon. I never meant to make you feel the way you made me and countless other people feel back in high school. If you're not that guy anymore I think that's great for you. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go find Jack." She spoke in her most calm tone and was surprised to how well she was doing.

"Thank you for the apology but that's not why I came over here," Dillon said with a slightly surprised tone and that made her smile. Had she actually managed to rattle the Dillon Holden? "Like I said, I want to be given a chance to prove that I've changed.

Libra crossed her arms over her chest and narrowed her eyes at him, "I heard what you said I just don't understand why. Nobody here knows who you used to be, so why prove yourself?" She asked.

"You should know better than anyone that people judge you before they even know you. That's why I want to prove myself and make sure you and everyone else gets the right representation of me."

"So the person you were in high school," Libra continued to pressure on, "that person was not the right representation? Because if I remember correctly you did all those things on your own."

Dillon moved closer, too close for her liking. Her nostrils filled with the sexy scent of his perfume and she could even smell the shampoo from his hair. So this is what made girls sweat, back in high school, she could see why. Dillon was a good looking guy and her body had suddenly gotten very aware of him, because she felt her knees starting to buckle.

"I can see you aren't planning on letting up any time soon and that's fine, but I haven't exactly asked for much here. Can we at least get some drinks and go sit down for a moment? It's getting really crowded over here." His voice was just low enough for her to hear it.

When she finally looked around and noticed that the amount of people around the drink station had doubled. Earlier, when Dillon had come over she had felt so out of place and now that they were here it was actually kind of nice to see a familiar face from home – even if it was Dillon. She searched one more time for Jack but there were too many people in this tiny apartment for her to see him. She turned to Dillon once more and then nodded shyly.

He grabbed them each a beer and guided her toward two empty seats that had appeared in front of them. That's the first time she heard it – one of the girls next to her whispering about Dillon: "that guy is a total player, I can tell, look at him manipulating his first victim." She couldn't believe that someone thought that she would be dumb enough to sleep with Dillon?

Before she could correct the young woman Dillon stopped her by putting his hand on her back and whispering in her ear, "I told you people were judging me based on nothing -  well perhaps my looks." He winked teasingly.

Libra wanted to push him away and set him straight, but instead she was surprised what came out of her mouth: "Well, if you want I can walk right up there and confirm that they were right about at least one of us." She winked back and took the seat next to him.

She was having a beer with Dillon Holden – who would have thought?