Free

Mother is dead. Father is dead. I'm the only one left. They're laying in bed, the sheets soaking up their blood. I'm in the kitchen. Right next to the door. Clutching the biggest carving knife I could find.

I can hear him coming down the stairs. Every step he takes makes the ancient floorboards groan. Slowly, I poke my head around the corner. In the dim light, I see his figure. He is pointing his gun out in front of him, his gloved hands dripping in the blood of my family.

Oh God I'm shaking, I have one chance. One chance to escape. He'll be at the doorway soon. I have no choice. I have to kill him. I have to live. I grip the knife tighter. He's right there. He steps into the room, and turns away from me, checking the left corner. In a split second, I lunge from the shadows and drive my knife into his shoulder. He screams in agony and drops the gun. I plant my foot on his back and push him onto his knees. With all of my strength, I stab the knife into his skull, making a horrible crunch. His lifeless body falls to the ground.

I can't help but smile. Something about the thick, dark blood oozing onto his police uniform is just so... Comical. I can't help myself. Laughter spills from my lips as I dance out of the house. Mother is dead. Father is too. I'm free I'm free I'm free! I skip into the woods. Still clutching the body knife.