Chapter 10

Prince Elfangor’s hooves clacked too loudly for my taste, but the only way to knock out a security guard was to keep him in his normal body for his tail. He also had to acquire a morph and I knew already how exhausting it was to morph. Out of all my friends, I was the only one to morph multiple times.

Tobias was the only one who morphed, and he only did it once to get to the barn. I wasn’t surprised. The others still expected this all to just be a wild dream from which they’ll eventually wake up from. Now that was a chilling thought. If this was a dream of theirs, it would mean that I would cease to exist when they woke up. Along with Elfangor, Melissa and everyone else.

That sent shivers down my spine. It kind of reminded me of a Doctor Who episode where everything was a simulation and when people found out it drove them to suicide.

<Daniel. There is a guard behind us. I do not think that she has noticed us yet as she is looking at her phone> Prince Elfangor warned.

I turned to look behind me and saw the woman. She looked to be a few years older than me. Her body was actually very well defined by her uniform. I lost myself in her appearance until she looked up and locked eyes on me.

“Andali–” she didn’t get to finish her warning to her radio as Elfangor struck her on the head with his tail blade. But she didn’t need to. The Yeerks would already know what she was trying to say.

“Oh no.”

<What’s wrong?>

“She has a body camera,” I pointed to the small black square that was hooked on her front pocket. “It’s seen my face. And judging by what I’ve seen so far, that’s the only camera that’s recording here” –That was really crappy design on the Gardens part– “I really hope that this isn’t bluetooth or wifi or else they’ll already have my face recorded,” I grabbed the camera and tossed it over to Elfangor.

He swiped his tail lightning fast and the camera broke in two halves.

We need to acquire the morphs, fast. Before more Controllers showed up.

Elfangor and I began to run trying to get to the cages where our animals would be. I’m gonna go to hell for being horny. I have a girlfriend for crying out loud. I shouldn’t be staring at a woman like the way I did back there. Though it wasn’t as bad as me flirting with anyone, right? But then again, Melissa knows about my flirting and allows it. Plus this screw up nearly cost me my identity.

“Andalite!” the yell made me jump as we turned a corner.

Great more Controllers.

“Crao!” I ducked as they swung a night stick above my head.

Elfangor wasn’t so lucky. The other security guard, a man in his 40s, managed to hit Prince Elfangor’s stalk eyes. The Andalite reared in pain and used his two front hooves to kick the man in the stomach sending him down to the ground in pain.

My Controller was another girl. This one was once again in her 20s. You wouldn’t really see older women in these kinds of jobs. Only the younger ones from the “millennial” generation were the ones to break from the mold and choose their own jobs.

She tried to swing at me again, which I barely dodged, when I got a brilliant idea. I waited for her to bring the nightstick closer and I grabbed it. She struggled to pull it out of my grasp but I held on hard.

“Let go, you Andalite scum,” she hissed with fury.

I finally managed to pull it out of her grasp and hit her as hard as I could with it. She fell to the floor unconscious. I then realized my mistake.