Chapter Sixteen

"What in the flaming hell are you talking about?" Etta blurted. "We didn't kill anyone!"

"I understand your shock," Diana said calmly, "but a Caretaker died during the battle with the insurgent force who call themselves the Separatists, and the Ministry feels that you bear some responsibility for that soldier's death due to your actions this evening."

"But we were trying to stop the Separatists," Etta said. "Freya knew they were trying to take down MinNet, and the Caretakers would listen to her. We couldn't just sit around doing nothing." Etta gestured to Freya. "Tell her, Fray."

Freya wanted to speak up, to tell this woman that Etta was right. But suddenly the walls in the tiny room seemed too close, the air inside too scarce to get a deep breath.

"I know this is quite a bit to take in," Diana said in that same kind, calm voice, "and I'm sorry you had to learn of the charges this way, but for the moment I need both of you to stay focused." Confidence shone in her grey eyes as she spoke. "Murder charges or not, my job is to get you out of this place, and I mean to do it. You can be sure of that."

At this, Freya felt a new calm blossom inside of her. Yes, Freya thought, this woman would get them out of there. Freya didn't know how she knew it, but she did. The way she knew how to pilot a ship without even using her eyes. The way she knew her own name. She spared a glance at Etta, and saw that same stolid confidence mirrored in her friend's expression.

"Now then," Diana smiled in the same friendly way as before, "let's address the events of earlier this evening." She picked the datapad up from the table and tapped at the screen. "Specifically, I need to know what assistance First Marshall Airm ordered you to provide the Separatists before you arrived at the Averni reception."

The corners of Freya's mouth turn down in a steep frown. "My father didn't order me to help the Separatists."

Diana sighed. "I know this must be difficult, but you know that my only goal in this is to help you." She looked intently at Freya. "But I can't help you, unless you tell me about how your father ordered you to help the Separatists." Diana leaned forward, her grey eyes locked to Freya's. "On the cruiser, on your way to the reception, he did tell you to help them, didn't he?"

Freya felt a twinge of something like confusion in her mind as she stared back into Diana's mist-colored eyes. She thought back to flight, to the conversation they'd had. She could remember her asking about the Sphere, but her memory of why they'd talked about the Sphere was foggy.

"We talked about the Sphere," Freya said after a moment.

"Yes, the Sphere," Diana said. "You were talking about the Sphere, because he knew that the Separatists planned on launching a new attack that evening. Isn't that right, Freya?"

Freya felt herself saying, "Yes," but she immediately shook her head. "I mean no! No." She shook her head again. "Father didn't say anything about an attack."

Diana let out another heavy sigh. "Freya, I understand that you want to protect your father, but I can't help you if you don't tell me the truth." She tapped the datapad screen. "Your father told you there would be an attack that night. He told you to help the Separatists."

The memory of the flight turned even more cloudy. "I–I–" She clenched her eyes shut, trying to think. "I don't think he said anything about any attack, but I don't really remember."

"He did, Freya." Diana's voice came out with that same low, reassuring calm. "He told you to do it, and now you're charged with murder. A capital offense, punishable by death under Ministry law."

Fresh fear exploded in Freya's chest. She jerked her head toward Etta, and saw the feeling mirrored in her friend's eyes.

"I know you're scared, but I can help you. I can keep the Ministry from charging you with murder." Diana laid the datapad on the table and slid it in front of Freya. "But I need something from you first, Freya."